ßßßßßß ßßßßß ßßßßßßß ßßß ßß ßßßßßßß ßßßßßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßß ßßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßßßßß ßßßßßßß ßß ßßß ßßßßßßß ßß ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» ºVol 1 This month's features of IceNEWS Issue 3º º Nov ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 1992 º º º º 1. Calling All Sub Hosts...........The Editor, 1@6250 º º º º 2. All About: The Subs.Lst.........The Editor, 1@6250 º º º º 3. Budding Shareware Authors...........Louhal, 1@10 º º -Featuring Justin Powell and Alex Mead- º º º º 4. Where the Girls Aren't..............Louhal, 1@10 º º º º 5. Keeping Control of Holiday Parties..Jestor, 46@10 º º º º 6. Mod o' the Month....................Airmon, 1@7491 º º -=Featuring Count Zero's CZEXTLOG.MOD=- º ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ CALLING ALL SUB HOSTS: "How I got tons of subscribers to my subs, and left them all smiling" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ By: The Editor, 1@6250 ______________________ Hello everyone...I would like to cover a point with you that I think will help improve the quality of our subs list, and help IceNET remain the quality network for which it is recognized. I think that hosts and subscribers alike would benefit if all non-restricted subs were autorequestable using either WWIV's REQ feature, or WWIVSERV. By doing so, you will get more subscribers more quickly to your subs, and eliminate some frustration subscribers feel when their requests go unfilled. I have heard that sometimes, a sub host does not respond to a sub request. When a sysop writes a letter to subscribe to a sub, and after a week or so receives no confirmation, it can be frustrating. Read on, and I'm going to tell you how, as a sub host, you can eliminate this frustration, and have happy subscribers. (A lot of them!!!) I know that there are reasons that could cause a request for a subscription to go unanswered: 1) SysOp is on vacation...and couldn't get to his mailbox. 2) Your mail was LOST on the way to it's destination. (This does not happen very often at all, but it IS a possibility that you need to consider....especially if a node along the path has just had their board crash, and had your packet waiting there at the time.) 3) The sub is no longer hosted by that node, or that node is out of the net. This is partially my fault if I you have not gotten a current copy of the subs list in time, the sub may have been discontinued. At this time, you should contact me to check on the CURRENT status of that sub, or arrangements on taking over as the host if in fact it has been dropped by the original host. 4) Your request may have been unclear. 5) The host just has not replied to your message. By making subs autorequestable, most of these problems will not even occur. That is why I am such a firm believer in using the automated features available to you for managing your message bases. In addition, you will find that more subscriptions will come to you if you host a sub, and an SSM will notify you as you log onto your system. There are two options for you to use: WWIV's REQ, and WWIVSERV. WWIV (begining with release NET29) has a program that comes with it called REQ (short for REQuestable). This program is VERY easy to set up, and quite convienient to both YOU, and the sub requestor! Instructions out of the WWIVNet DOCS are as follows: Appendix I - (REQ) Automated subboard requests Net29 and above support automated subboard subscriptions. In order for this to work, BOTH systems (the host and the subscriber) must be running net29 or later. The program 'REQ.EXE' can be used to subscribe or drop subboards. To use REQ, shell out and type in REQ A|D , where 'A' is to add, and 'D' is to drop the sub. See example below. There is also aprogram that provides the function of REQ and some other very nice features. You can set it up to intercept the REQ requests. It is called WWIV Serve (WWIVSERV)... WWIVSERV External Sub Handler Copyright (c) 1992 Crispy Software All Rights Reserved Introduction ------------ WWIVSERV allows users to automatically hook themselves to various lists and do other things regarding these lists (such as see who else is receiving a list and find out who the moderator is). How it Works ------------ It scans the incoming mail packet (LOCAL.NET) for mail addressed to WWIVSERV. When it locates a message for WWIVSERV, it performs the commands that the program understands (unless it reaches a line it can not interpret, which then it just skips that piece of mail and goes on to the next one), as long as WWIVSERV has not been given any restrictions by the SysOp that would prevent it from performing such an action, as set up in the WWIVSERV Configuration (WSCFG) program. it goes on to say...(after installation) 9. To use WWIVSERV you simply send e-mail to the system you want information from or that you want to request a sub from. For example, suppose you wanted to request the Philosophy sub, subtype 58000 from The Great White North, IceNET @1: >> Type E to send E-mail >> Then type WWIVSERV@1 to tell your system who to send mail to >> Title: It doesn't matter what the title is (Inside your e-mail type these [one to a line]:) HELP REVIEW 58000 SUBSCRIBE 58000 LIST VERSION INFO 58000 PROFILE /s This will send mail to system 1 requesting the HELP file, the REView (list of subscribers to the sub), request the SUB, get a list of all subs available via WWIVSERV on the system, tell what version of WWIVSERV this board is running, request information on subtype 58000, and request a profile of this system. All of these commands can be shortened to 3 letters to make entry quicker. (i.e., REVIEW can be shortened to REV) Systems set up to be WWIVSERVable...are shown in the subs.lst with the ! parameter in the NOTES section for each sub line. I think you will be very pleased using either of these methods to allow subscribers into your subs. I know firsthand, that once I learned to use the autorequest method, my eye looks for the 'R' in the subs list indicating it's autorequestable, and I'm much more likely to subscribe to the sub...because it's easier...and I also know the sysop hosting the sub is capable, considerate, and probably has a great sub too! All About: The SUBS.LST ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ By: The Editor, 1@6250 ______________________ And now for some futher explaination on the subs.lst: [======================================================================] RECOMMENDED Subs Type Host Note Sub Name & Description ----- ----- ----- ------------------------------------------------ 18001 1 RN Ice NET National SysOps Only (255 access only) To REQ this sub...shell to dos and type REQ A 18001 1 WWIV... starting with version 4.21, when you add the sub in your //BOARDEDIT files, and enter the subtype (Choice J) as 18001...it will read the SUBS.LST file in your ICENET or DATA directory, to check to see if subtype 18001 is REQable....if it is, it will automatically send the REQ request for you... and it will inform you of this. If it is NOT REQable, then you will need to see if it is WWIVSERVable; otherwise send the host email. This sub is not wwivservable....(There is no ! in the notes). This sub host validates the posts on the sub before they are sent out to the rest of the subscribers, and wishes that you do the same. Here is the current key to the SUBS list...it is pretty much self explanitory. -#/## Means that the sub has been discontinued. Remove it from your system. (-7/01 etc...means the date of the subs deletion from the list if no one claims it) + Means that it is a NEW release to the subs list # Means a recent change of host or sub-type (Email 1@ NEW system to verify) ! Means that the sub is WWIVServable P PRIVATE...only certain people will be allowed in..contact host via E-Mail A ASK..contact the host, certain retrictions may apply. R Means that the sub is requestable with NET29/30 REQ.EXE programs (NET31 does not need the REQ.EXE file as it has it built right in!) (Consult the WWIVNet.DOC file under 11.9 Appendix 1 for more information) N Means the sub is set NETWORK VALIDATED so you know that the posts on this sub could come thru slower than normal, and be of better quality! G Means the sub is GATED from/to another network. T Means this sub does NOT allow TAGLINES of ANY form! If you would like to host a sub, I need the following information: SUBTYPE HOST NOTES TITLE CATEGORY (category you wish your sub listed in) Sub-types follow this guideline... If your node number is 6250 then: First Hosted Sub : 6250 Second Hosted Sub: 16250 Third Hosted Sub : 26250 Etc...up to 65535 If you are going to host a sub and your next subtype in sequence would be greater then 65535, contact me for another subtype series. If you are going to take on an abandonded SUB...you chose a new subtype following the above guidelines Black & White copies are automatically put in your ICENET(DATA) directory. Color subs.lst files are posted on the IceNET SysOps sub. So when you see the color one posted, you know that you have a B&W copy also! SUBS.PUB INFORMATION .....Random 1@3050 writes... --Also, net31 has been out for a few months now. I suggest that everyone --upgrade to the new version of the net software. One of the new features --is automated subs.lst reporting. Using automated subs.lst reporting, --you will no longer have to notify anyone when you change a sub type, --change the name of the sub, or other things like that, in order for the --updated info to appear in the subs.lst file (IF you are running net31, --AND have one additional data file set up). -- --In order to get this new feature to work, first you have to be running --net31. Secondly, you have to set up the file 'SUBS.PUB' (for PUBlic subs --info). The format of this file is remarkably similar to the n*.net --files and allow.net files. Simply list, in the subs.pub file, the --SUB TYPES that you wish automatically reported. -- --For example, my SUBS.PUB file lists: -- --1701 --10001 --40001 -- (For all the subs you WANT listed in the SUBS.LST file!) --Periodically, the subs.lst coordinator will send out an automated subs --info request. net31 will process this request, based upon your subs.pub --file, and send back all the subs.lst entries for your system. -- --For each response for each sub, it will give: the sub type (obviously); --your system number (for the list); whether the sub is auto-requestable --(based upon your allow.net file); whether you disallow tag lines on that --sub (based upon the info in //boardedit); and the name of the sub --(gotten from //boardedit - so set your sub name in //boardedit to show --how you want the sub reported). -- I'd like to encourage everyone to make their subs autorequestable except for Adult or private subs. I can almost gaurantee you will get more subscribers, because it's so easy for the sysop to order your sub. Also, you will get mail automatically telling you which systems subscribed or dropped your sub. This mail comes along with the '....read your mail' messages you see when you log onto your system. SUBS.LST editor is 1@6250 For questions/comments on the SUBS.LST or questions on how to install REQ, or WWIVSERV (WS211.EXE), or input on the previous message, please contact me. WS211.EXE is available on my board, and available via GSA. If we work together on these simple items, it will make everything easier, and in some cases AUTOMATED...with less mistakes, quicker editions, and better turn around time for problems! =============================================================================== BUDDING SHAREWARE AUTHORS ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ How They Got Started - By LouHal, 1@10 ________________________________________ Did you ever wonder how a programmer got started in the business of authoring shareware? Many users asked the question and a two budding local authors (well known depending on what region you are in) volunteered their stories. This column will hopefully become a monthly feature of IceNEWS, so let this be a call for articles from any and all authors of Shareware; I know we have some very good ones in IceNET. The first story is from Amproman #14 @10. Amproman is a very talented game programmer, specializing in graphics, and improving in quality with every new realease. Alex Mead (aka Amproman) Producshunz: How I got started. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My old college buddy Louhal, Editor of IceNEWS, asked me to tell you about my humble beginings now that I'm such a celebrity (Ahh taste that sarcasm). I thought it was a capital idea, so here we go. SInce I was old enough to think about what I wanted to do, I've known that it would have as little to do with bosses and co-workers as possible. As a teenager appoaching (and dreading) the time when I'd be old enough to get a "real job", I tried starting a comic cook company (and ran out of ways to get free photo copies), being an author (and had no clue what to do with it when I finished a book), and just about anything else a creative young man looking for a way to escape the system could try. My mother was not thrilled with any of those ideas (as mothers often aren't), and she was often pushing me to find something I liked that was a nice "saleable" skill. We managed to compromise on computers. It all started off in High school with the best teacher the world has ever known Mr. Doug Alderdice. I had never encountered anything in school like computers. It was a subject that I actually had a hunger for, and I quickly surpassed the class on the fundamentals and flew right into (you guessed it) graphics. Programming became my life, and I would spend months programming 3 to 5 minute 4 color animation sequences. In college (and I begrudgingly admit this) I learned some important things like how to write huge programs, and how to write good program code and keep it all together, and a few years later I was able to craft my first video game (Pathfinder 2 in 1988 --a simple game that would later become Pathfinder 5 my first official release). I even had a brilliant new marketing idea. I would give away half of the game on one disk for free, and I would have people send me money to get the second half if they enjoyed the first half (I was rather peeved to find out later that my idea had already been around for years (shareware) and that companies were already making huge amounts of money on the concept. On August 21st 1991, I decided that I had wandered around aimlessly for far to long, and I also decided that if I didn't do something soon I'd end up in one of those "real job" thigs (Ick!!) so on that day I went down to the bank, got some money and aquired my P.O. Box (P.O. Box 988 Buffalo NY, 14213 (which is now payed off well into 1993 by the way). I wrote my first AMProGram (not knowing that it would become my monthly newsletter) and I wrestled with the code for Pathfinder 5 until it finally compiled, and went into business for real(sorta). I put out 3 games in my first two weeks which to this day have never seen any profit. About this time I also invented the Graphics Page Editor (which as you can guess had also already been invented), and then released a Game called AMProSlither a few months later which resembled a lot of games that were already out, and I got a lot of people accusing me of stealing that as well. For my birthday (December 5) I got what I had been waiting for all my life. QuickBASIC 4.5 and the power to do muticolor pictures. From there, the company just started to snowball into the several dozen dollar company that it is today. Along with considerable help from Louhal 1 @ 10, Jim 1@1 and my buddy Zaphod Beeblebrox 1@7659 along with too many other IceNET sysops to mention, I have formed quite a formidable distribution network on IceNET. If anyone has any comments or suggestions or would like to help I can be reached on IceNET at 7@7659 or through snail mail at P.O. Box 988, Buffalo NY, 14213. Thanks for listening. --Alex Mead, "Amproman" Another up and coming shareware author is Generic Sysop #1 @5851. When I took the task of editor or "compiler of news articles" for IceNEWS I was thrilled to see an individual had made a reader for it. Rather a reader for any newsletter if given the proper formatting. Generic did an excellant job of writing the program in a very short amount of time. He deserves full credit for the endeavor and with the insight he should be a really great programmer one day. When asked to tell a little about himself this is what he had to say: My real name is Justin Powell, and I am 18 years old. I was born on Saint Patrics day, one fine evening in 1974. I got into computers when I was 13. My school at that time was teaching the students on Commodore 64's, and I thought they were just the greatest thing, so I convinced my grandmother to buy me one, and I played with it. I used that for about 4 years, and then I got an original 8088 machine made by IBM with color CGA graphics and a brand new 1200 baud modem. I had sampled what the modem world offered on my commodore, so I decided to try the IBM based boards on this new machine. I started modeming and about 7 months later I bought a used 80286 machine with 246k VGA and a 2400 baud modem. I'm still using this system today. I learned to program with Microsoft Q-Basic (it came with DOS V5.0), and I pretty much had mastered the language 1 month later, so it was time to get a good version of the software with a compiler and all that good stuff. So, I bought Microsoft Quick Basic 4.5 which is what I used to create the IceNEWS Reader. I'm really good with Quick Basic, and I love it. I know a little C and a tad of Pascal, also. I wrote the IceNEWS Reader because I wanted to help out with IceNEWS. I'm not very good at writing, and my spelling is down-right awful, but I can program fairly well so thats how I contributed to the Newsletter. Plus, it was fun making it. I like small projects like that. You can just relax and program. As opposed to the long and involved programs that force you to spend hours on end writing your own commands and setting up complex I/O routines. My goal with the IceNEWS Reader was to make an attractive, quick modual that would adapt easily to anyones PC (IBM Compatible of course) that would be fairly easy to set up and use. It looks like I have done just that. --Justin Powell ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Where The Girls Aren't - By LouHal, 1@10 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Being a person who has a great interest in statistics and how they affect us , I noticed that the number of females were noticeably lower than males in the bbs community. The struggle to find out why this was going on has become a challenge. Here are a few remarks on where are the women: One female user, Radiance #24@10, starts out by saying, "I personally think that the only reason that men out number the females is because basically this is a secret society, and they are simply unaware of the conversations and on line games being played over thier heads carried by the telephone lines. It's plain and simple. Normally, a person gets into bbsing by word of mouth, sometimes it's mentioned when purchasing a modem thru free service with Prodigy. Then again for a novice just stumbling into bbsland, the software can be a factor, especially if one is all alone, just computer and keyboard in hand. The more bbsers spread the word, the more females may consider. Pass the word, females buy computers too and many are programmers too." Another user and female sysop, Rabbyte #1 @6456, added these words, "This area (614 area code), where BBSing is concerned, is basically a "good ol' boy" area. It goes against the grain of a lot of sysops around here that I am running one of the largest message bases and that I am a woman to boot. I have found one sysop, Mike, from Columbus Skyline that helps me when I have problems with the board. Doesn't matter to him what gender I am. He is just a very nice person. There actually are more females in the bbsing world than what is thought. Quite a few of us log on using "male" type of handles. The problems I ran into when I first started bbsing (back in 1987) is that if users found out you were female, everytime you logged on you had 27 emails from guys with raging hormones telling you their innermost secrets. Like I could care. I think if guys treated women as equals in the bbs world, more of us would come forward and be heard." More comments were added by Snugglebeast #115 @10, a hardworking and great female co-sysop. She has this to add: "Ever since I've been BBSing, for about 4 years now, I've noticed that depending on what board you may happen to be on that there are generally more men than women. I don't have the answer as to why this is, but here are a few of the answers I have gotten from people in the past: 1. Women aren't treated the same, in many cases, as the men. There are a lot of male BBS'ers out there who think that a computer board is a 1-900-Dating Service. 2. In most households that have a computer, men are the predominate users. 3. In the past schools have steered the boys more towards the technical careers like programming and electronics whereas the girls were steered more toward the clerical careers such as secretarial and receptionist jobs. As such, the girls were taught to "use" computers rather than to understand them. Now that most kids are learning about computers in grade school, the number of active on-line users will continue to grow in the coming years. I'm sure that the percentage of women on-line will grow even more rapidly once they are aware of what's out there. Whether they remain on-line will largely depend on how they are treated by other users." Another user, LESLIEJACOBY from Delphi Information Service commented, I think you must be accessing the wrong areas if you think there are *NOT* lots of women "in the great BBS kingdom." I spend alot of time on CIS, GENIE, and a local BBS accessing the genealogy forums and echos. The breakdown is probably 60/40 women to men, with a higher ratio of women SYSOPS. In many cases, the membership appears to be a man, but the user is the woman in the household. I also find more women involved in the Desktop Publishing area. Since I just joined Delphi, I can't speak for this service. I only know one person here, and she is another woman. To end it all up, Jackie Webb #245 @6257 commented; "I'm in BBSing simply because I love the connection. I can get entertainment, companionship - sort of, at least I'm not alone and if I have a problem, someone out there may know the answer. I find it a challenge. I'm new to computers and BBS's - it's been about 8 months since I've had my computer and I really love all the things I am learning to do with it. I learn a lot from reading the messages on the board, and "listening" to everyone's answer. I really don't think I'm in BBSing for any reason that would be different than a man's - but then, I haven't discussed the subject with many. In my family I, my son and one daughter BBS. My ex knows NOTHING about computers, and my other daughter just works them. My brother is very experienced and is in management over computer areas. He has no interest in BBS's. Sometimes the time gets really lonely and long when one is somewhat handicapped and cannot work a job anymore (not that I'm THAT old...but) and the BBSs keep me company." Keep your Party Under Control ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ -By- Jestor _____________________________ Jester #46 @10 Writes the proper Festivity Levels to keep your party in a manor that you will be happy this holiday season. Festivity Level 1: Your guests are chatting amiably with each other, admiring your Christmas-tree ornaments, singing carols around the upright piano, sipping at their drinks and nibbling hors d'oeuvres. Festivity Level 2: Your guests are talking loudly -- sometimes to each other, and sometimes to nobody at all, rearranging your Christmas-tree ornaments, singing "I Gotta Be Me" around the upright piano, gulping their drinks and wolfing down hors d'oeuvres. Festivity Level 3: Your guests are arguing violently with inanimate objects, singing "I can't get no satisfaction," gulping down other peoples' drinks, wolfing down Christmas tree ornaments and placing hors d'oeuvres in the upright piano to see what happens when the little hammers strike. Festivity Level 4: Your guests, hors d'oeuvres smeared all over their naked bodies are performing a ritual dance around the burning Christmas tree. The piano is missing. You want to keep your party somewhere around level 3, unless you rent your home and own Firearms, in which case you can go to level 4. The best way to get to level 3 is egg-nog. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Mod o' the Month by Airmon 1@7491 .\ttitudes BBS Featured Mod: CZEXTLOG.MOD -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Hola, once again amigos. I am here to bring you a mod I think deserves to be featured. Why this mod, you ask? To tell you the truth, it's one of the most USEFUL mods I have seen in quite a while. What it does, is create a log of all the messages you extract, and allows you to add a description. This is incredibly useful, especially when extracting mods and such, as I am sure many of us do. The mod is written by Count Zero, so Count, here is your moment of fame. Enjoy it, because your mod, is featured on Airmon's "Mod o' the month"! NOTE: Mod o' the Month mods are exclusively the opinion of Airmon, and Airmon only. Mods featured in this column are in no way guaranteed to work on your system. Thank you, and enjoy the mod. /-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\ ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ³Mod Filename: CZEXTLOG.MOD ³ ³Description : Create log of extracted messages ³ ³Mod Author : Count Zero ³ ³WWIV version: Tested on 4.21, should work on others ³ ³Difficulty : Block copy, nice and easy ³ ³Date : 10-11-92 ³ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ I extract a lot of messages from my subs, for many purposes. Often I don't have time to immediately read what I extract, or I simply lose track of what's in the GFILES directory. I said to myself, "Self, there must be a way to keep track of what all these files are for." Then I wrote up this mod. Here's what it does: When you extract a file, you will be prompted for a description after you enter the filename. The filename and its description will be put into a file, EXTRACT.LOG, in your GFILES directory. Further descriptions will be appended to the file as you go. Then you'll have a nice log of all your extracted files. It came in handy for me, so it may come in handy for you. Disclaimer: It works great on my system. If it makes your computer do the Zimbabwean Dance of the Dead or causes you any strife, data loss, or other negative repurcussions, *IT AIN'T MY FAULT*! Now, on with the mod: ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ Step 1: MSGBASE1.C: Add the following variables to void extract(...): char s3[81],s4[81] int logfile Step 2: MSGBASE1.C (still in void extract) Block-copy the marked code into your code: case 'O': unlink(s2); break; } nl(); } /*** Begin Add -- CZEXTLOG.MOD ***/ nl(); pl("Enter description of extracted file"); outstr(": "); inputl(s3,63); sprintf(s4, "%-15s%s\n",s1, s3); pl("EXLOG entry is:"); prt(2,s4); nl(); logfile = open("D:\\BBS\\GFILES\\EXTRACT.LOG", O_WRONLY | O_APPEND | O_CREAT, S_IWRITE); /* See step 3 */ write(logfile, s4, strlen(s4)); close(logfile); /*** End Add -- CZEXTLOG.MOD ***/ } else s2[0]=0; Step 3: In the "logfile = open(...)" statement above, replace "D:\\BBS\\GFILES" with the path to your GFILES directory. Step 4: Compile and enjoy! ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ Please submit your articles for this publication to The IceNEWS Editor LouHal, 1@10.