°°°°°°Ü °°Ü °°°ÜÜ°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°Ü °°°ÜÜ°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°Ûß°°Û °°Û °°Û°°Û°°Û °°Ûßßßß ß°°Ûßß °°Û °°Û°°Û°°Û °°Ûßßßß °°Ûßßßß °°°°°Ûß °°Û °°Û ßß°°Û °°°°°Ü °°Û °°Û °°Û ßß°°Û °°°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°Ûß°°Ü °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Ûßßß °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Ûßßß ßßß°°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°°°°°Ü °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°°°°°Ü °°°°°°Û ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßßßßßß =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= JULY RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1992 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Most recent count of RIME nodes - 1027 covering 72 states and countries --------------------------------------------------------------------------- RIME Times Staff Editor.....................................................Curt Akin ->MORE Editorial Associates: Copy Editor and Design Consultant.................J. Barrett ->MORE Security and Safe Computing.......................J. Barrett ->MORE Jackie's Beanstalk...............................Jackie Doty ->MORE ShareWare.....................................Patrick Grote ->SHRPT The Inner View..............................Inez Harrison ->MOONDOG Editor of Poetry in Motion distributed by RIME Plunderings......................................Brian Lee ->THEHUB Who's Who....................................Patrick Lee ->RUNNINGB --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Table of Contents --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Article# Subject Author 1 Frankly, Curt Curt Akin Node ID ->MORE 2 Jackie's Beanstalk Jackie Doty Node ID ->MORE 3 RIME's Infinite Possibilities Morten Sillesen Node ID ->DKBBBS 4 The Inner View Inez Harrison Node ID ->MOONDOG 5 ShareWare Patrick Grote Node ID ->SHRPT 6 Plunderings Brian Lee Node ID ->THEHUB 7 Author Passes Away Jeff Smart Node ID ->DESIGN 8 Security and Safe Computing J. Barrett Node ID ->MORE 9 BBS Personality Eric Hendrix Node ID ->PROLINK 10 FBI Seizes "Pirate" BBS Josh Hyatt Boston Globe 11 Computer, Speech, and Privacy on Radio InterNet Risks Forum 12 Passwords Revisited InterNet Risks Forum 13 Perot Gets HIT! NY Times 14 Conference News James Wall Node ID ->DREAM 15 Who's Who and What's What Patrick Lee Node ID ->RUNNINGB 16 Notices -------------------------------------------------------------------------- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 1 - FRANKLY, CURT From your Editor, Node ID ->MORE =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= My father, an otherwise thoroughly practical man, became mesmerized by gadgets. He would instantly achieve a trance-like state at the arrival of any one of a multitude of catalogs of the Brookstone genre, and no communication medium I ever found would disrupt him until every product description had been read at least once, many several times. Wind, for example, was a helpless target. Come to think of it, so were pressures, temperatures, and amounts of rain and snow. Wind, to me was either strong (i.e. trees were falling over) or gentle (the leaves are fluttering). However, Father's spinning roof-top cups were much more scientific, as were his wetbulbs and drybulbs, the barometer he tapped at precisely 7:00 every evening, and his rain gauges, three of them -- something about averages. And measurements were written in a little black book so comparisons could be made next year. Very scientific. That Father's gadget mania had peaked became obvious to me on a late Spring day as I arrived home after spending the school year away. Home about 10 minutes, I noticed 1 state and 3 local police cars in our driveway. My memory tends to embellish, but I have a clear vision of guns drawn as the gendarmes came to the door. The natural instinct was to put arms in the air and surrender. The culprit? A Westinghouse alarm system! I hadn't noticed the little control panels on the walls in nearly every room. Panic buttons, fire alarm, INTRUDER ALARM, all silent, and very dependable it seems. Father also had principles. One of these principles says "A locked door keeps only honest people out. Dishonest people break down doors." Trusting friends not to simply walk in without being invited, he kept the doors unlocked at all times! Dumb, but based on principle! Do you leave your BBS doors unlocked? You do if you use the same password on multiple systems. You are asking for trouble, and no gendarmes will save you. See Article #12. This month, we have more from Morten; Jackie pleads; J. viruses; the FBI seizes; your BBS gets a personality; Perot restores; Executive Host mourns; Grote shares -- something for everyone. Until next month, when I hope to bring you more ramblings from the world of RIME... I remain, Frankly, Curt =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 2 - JACKIE'S BEANSTALK By Jackie Doty, Node ID ->MORE =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= With a great deal of trepidation, I watched the approach of the dreaded "deadline." I found myself approaching a state of near panic. Anxiously aware of time's limits, with a few gentle nudges from the Editor, I faced what seemed to be an insurmountable obstacle. The second article from Jackie's Beanstalk was due, and I had not yet found anyone willing to tell of a life's enhancement through the modem. I found a few people with very interesting stories to tell. Oh, yes, grand stories, but nothing came directly from them; much was discovered simply from lurking around the conferences. Those people may be coerced into sharing at a later date; but, not now. A bit discouraged, I was about to concede defeat. "Perhaps next month," said I to the Editor. With a zeal I had to force, I assured him that the next column would be full of wonders, found from people around the world. He didn't buy it. "It's as easy as A B C," said he, calmly ignoring my panic. "(A) modem + (B)eneficial experiences = a (C)olumn" [Ed note: she captures the words exactly, but not the tone!] With memories of the proverbial pump feather-tickling at my mind, I'll prime with a cup of my own experiences. My hope is that it will encourage each of you to contribute your own story. It was just a year ago that I invested in my first modem. I had been using, and enjoying, computers for several years, but the idea of a modem had never crossed my mind. Computers were for bookkeeping, for accounting, and for the occasional game. It was to be used as a word processor, a complex office tool which was rarely used for entertainment. Then, one day a co-worker came in bubbling about his new modem. "Frivolous," I thought, as he babbled wonders. "Utter nonsense, and a waste of time." Oh, my -- the Doubting Thomas of the computer world. But as I listened, I was hooked. Within a few days, I had installed my first modem, and a whole new world opened for me. The first days were a comedy of errors. Without the assistance of many kind people, I would have been lost. The nonsense I put them through! The delight I found in experimenting with my new world was exceeded only by the joy of finding others who shared my interests. During this time, I resurrected an old love: writing. I found the encouragement I needed to begin to write again and gradually found that my writing was appreciated by others. Amazing! I found that poetry was a familiar friend and delighted in seeing my poems published in Poetry in Motion. I wrote, with great glee and at great length, in as many conferences as I could handle -- and then some more! Around November of last year, my husband and I started divorce proceedings. I know that without the support of my many friends, friends I had found through my modem, I would have had a much more difficult time. My dearest friend is the SysOp of the board I use. In many ways, she has enhanced my life. As for romance.. well.. That's another story!!! And now it's your turn. Please share..! Talk to you later!  Jackie =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 3 - RIME'S INFINITE POSSIBILITIES By Morten Sillesen, Node ID ->DKBBBS =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= USA-TRAVEL-SCHEDULE ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍËÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» º WHEN º WHERE º ÌÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÎÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ͹ º 6/25-7/05 º Greenville, VA º º 7/05-7/15 º Bufford, GA º º 7/15-7/25 º New Orleans, LA º º 7/25-8/03 º Long Beach, CA º º 8/03-8/15 º San Diego, CA º ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÊÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ [Editor's Note: Morten's idioms have been left intact.] It is now going on one month since I arrived to the USA, and boy I've experienced a lot of things. As you probably know, I did spend 5 wonderful days in NYC with David & Alexandra Honigsberg. When I look back and compare with what I've experienced since my departure from NYC, is there a lot of things I first understand now. NYC is a very exciting place to visit, and it's a unique city in the world. I did visit the New York Stock Exchange, a couple of historical churches and museums, Chinatown, Central Park, World Trade Center, and, of course, I tried the subway. This is just a short list of my experiences. The pace in the city is very high and it's no wonder that NYC is a magnet to every kind of people. What others told me -- and still tell me -- is that New Yorkers have reputation of not being friendly. I might have been lucky, but I did meet only friendly people. David, Alexandra, their friends, people in shops, the busdriver, people in museums.... No one was unfriendly to me, not even the 'normal' New Yorker who wasn't supposed to be friendly just because of my visit. Once again thanks to David and Alexandra who did a great job in hosting me. I'll never forget you. My next host was Charlie Beekley and his family, who live in Frederick, 45 miles from Washington D.C. It was with a big curiosity I arrived to the train station where he was picking me up. Did the messages from him reflect his real person and life, or was he totally different? From the very first moment was I treated with great hospitality, and I felt very comfortable in their home. The Beekley's immediately accepted me as a member of their family, and, this way, I really experienced a lot about their way of living. At the same time they took me to a lot of famous sights in Washington D.C. such as The White House, Capitol Hill, different monuments, and, of course, the metro. Washington is very different from NYC although it's still a huge city. The pace is much slower, it's more clean but then it's not that international. I think Washington D.C. is more American in every way, but it's supposed to, since it's the political center of the USA. "This city must represent the best standards of living, Americans are able to do" is quoted from J.F. Kennedy and written in a monument in the center of Washington D.C. Don't kill me if it's not 100% correct, but it's truly a beautiful city and this quote just underlines it. From a computer users point of view, did I also experience new things. Charlie is using his computer for a lot of things. At first I must say that his job has nothing to do with computers, but since he's self employed, has he been able to bring his interest with him, and he uses the computer as a tool. At home the computer is used often to a variety of things. First of all, Charlie is active at different communication nets, such as RIME and Compuserve. Mostly concerning his "spare time job" as a betatester, but also in his seeking after new informations in program development, although he isn't using that much time on that anymore. What is more interesting is that Charlie uses his computer for bookkeeping and paying checks. In fact he doesn't write a single check anymore -- every thing is via the computer and the modem. It's still incredible to me that you don't need any degree in computer science to use these communication utilities anymore. Anyone can use it if they want to. I want to thank Charlie Beekley, Linda Beekley and their son Tim Beekley for a marvelous and unforgettable visit. I really appreciate your way of opening your home for me. I will not forget you -- you're my friends forever. That was a couple of new impressions from my trip to the USA. As you see am I having a VERY good trip, and the hospitality that everybody shows me is unbelievable. Ahead of me is Greenville, VA, Atlanta, New Orleans and San Diego. I've made voice contact with the future hosts and everything seems to proceed perfect. If anyone wants to send me a message about my trip or anything else please feel free. Just remember to route it to ->MORE which is my 'messagebase' during my trip. I might be hard to reach in the last part of July but please be patient. Any messages will be answered - sooner or later. Morten Sillesen =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 4 - THE INNER VIEW By Inez Harrison, Node ID ->MOONDOG =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= THE INNER VIEW with Frank LaRosa creator of SLBBS I met Frank LaRosa at a meeting many moons ago and it's my pleasure to shed some light on Searchlight. Frank LaRosa is 27 years old, single, born in Queens, and currently living in Stony Brook. Q: Tell us exactly what SLBBS is and how it all started? A: Searchlight is a bulletin board program: the software that enables you to turn your computer into a BBS system. Searchlight started in 1985. I had just gotten a modem for my TRS-80 (1200 baud was the top speed in those days) and enjoyed it so much, I decided to open my own board. Back then, there wasn't much BBS software you could buy, and what there was, wasn't too impressive in my opinion, so I decided I'd have a go at writing my own program. The first version of Searchlight was written in BASIC and ran on a 48K TRS-80 Model III with two 180K floppy drives. It ran for about 2 years in more or less the same configuration (more floppy drives were added later) until I rewrote the program in Turbo Pascal and switched to a PC in 1987. A few copies of Searchlight were sold to local SysOps in 1987 but it didn't become well known until the first shareware version was released in '88. The basic concept behind SLBBS is to design a remote bulletin board system that uses the kind of interface you'd expect to find in any modern PC program. Other BBS programs, no matter how sophisticated they are internally, rely on simple line-oriented input and output. Searchlight broke that mold by becoming one of the first systems with built-in full screen editing, and the only system with screen oriented option field editing and Lotus 1-2-3 style menu bars. Lately, Searchlight has been branching out into two new areas: compatibility with networks and mail readers, and SysOp customization. Searchlight can be used with many existing BBS standards such as QWK mail, RelayNet and FidoNet Echomail, etc. The newest version supports an extensive menu building feature that's unique among BBS programs. Q: What was developing SLBBS like and how much time was devoted to it? A: Developing SLBBS required a strong devotion to the product because it took almost a year of programming time before I began to see any income from the product. Fortunately, I had the time and energy necessary to do it. Like most software projects, developing SLBBS is a cycle between writing code and listening to user feedback, comments and bug reports. The unique aspect of writing a BBS program, though, is that the feedback comes in almost instantaneously over our BBS, which allows us to test new features and respond to problems very quickly. Q: What does it give (in your opinion) that others do not? A: A great user interface including full screen editors, and a powerful conferencing system. The best menu building features available today. And great support: a company that has a vision and a record for improving our product year after year. You won't have to switch products a year from now because we didn't keep up with the latest developments. Q: I've noticed many new BBS/SysOp's start out using SLBBS. Any insight as to why? A: I think it's due to a combination of things. Searchlight is very easy to use and install, and its price is attractive. I think new users who take the time to compare Searchlight to other products really get an opportunity to see its superior features. Inevitably, anyone who gets involved in bulletin boards tends to favor the first program they encounter, and that may be why those who have used a different BBS program are reluctant to give Searchlight a try. Q: How successful has SLBBS been? Searchlight has been a great success, and is getting more popular every day. We have some way to go before we're as well known as some of the larger players in the BBS industry, but we've certainly come a long way, and surpassed a lot of worthy competitors in the process. Right now we are gearing up for a major new advertising campaign to promote our new version, and there are features about Searchlight scheduled for some of the major BBS publications. We'll also be attending ONE BBS convention in Denver this summer. So you'll be hearing a lot more from us. Q: How did you come up with the name "Searchlight"? A: A lot of people ask me that question, which always surprises me. Searchlight was the name of the school newspaper that a friend and I worked on during our junior and senior years in high school. When we graduated, the paper folded, so we've always considered it "our" paper. A few years later when I started my BBS, it was the first thing that came to mind. Searchlight was actually the name of my BBS itself before it became the name of the BBS software product. I'm really glad I ended up with the name Searchlight because I hate thinking up names for things. In retrospect, Searchlight is really an excellent name for the product. If that name hadn't come to me I might well have called it "Modem Electronic Services System (MESS)" or something equally inane. Q: Tell us about the current version of SLBBS. A: The current version is 2.25. Q: Is there any significant difference between the old and current version and what is it? A: Yes. We added menu building, a powerful new feature that lets the SysOp design his or her own BBS menus. These can be anything from simple prompts to scrolling menubars, with lightbar selections and on-line help. Using these menu building features, a SysOp can arrange built-in commands and Door programs in any desired manner to build the "perfect" BBS interface. The Searchlight menu editor is itself menu-driven, making Searchlight 2.25 one of the most easily customized BBS systems ever designed. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Frank LaRosa is reachable via: mail: Searchlight Software P.O. Box 640 Stony Brook, NY 11790 Support BBS: (516) 689-2566 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 5 - SHAREWARE REVIEW By Patrick Grote, Node ID ->SHRPT =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= WHAT HAPPENED TO SHAREWARE? Once upon a time in an industry called Shareware, users and authors participated in the collaborative creation of software. Simply stated -- authors listened to users about what was needed in their product. This communication lead to innovations in products. These products lead to happy customers. These customers gave more ideas. These ideas lead to innovation in products and the cycle continued. Lately, though, we have seen a decreasing downward attitude toward users. Users are now being looked at as numbers and their input is not being molded into better and better software as it was in the past. What has lead to this decline? Money. Three years ago shareware was virgin territory for those who wanted to market software cheaply. Authors crafted their programs to near technical perfection and released it primarily for the benefit of others. Nowadays, anyone who can code a simple program flops their program to market and users have to catch it like pinning a freshly caught fish. The program may have never been widely beta tested, lack complete documentation or be poorly designed. Each author is no longer bound to the simple rules shareware used to follow, namely that the user is your most important asset. Many authors today simply allow their own wants and needs for a product to outweigh what the users specify. Examples can be seen in programs ranging from terminal programs to word processors to household applications. What the industry is starting to do is take a more corporation approach to software development. Design teams replace users in the field. Beta testing is done with only a small group at the end of the development cycle. Things that may work for retail software companies, but not what shareware was based on. Granted a majority of authors are still one person shops, but more and more companies are getting into the shareware scene. For shareware, you need users helping design the program for real world issues, which design teams might miss. The beta test process is started at the beginning of the project in shareware, so that each user has a chance to put the program through its paces on different machines. One thing that you cannot argue with is the increase in quality of shareware. Shareware has become an extremely viable alternative to retail software. Reasons for this are many, but intrinsic to this is user feedback. In the future, we will see more and more software designed by people and teams for the masses that the masses do not want. Does this spell doom for the shareware industry? No, not really. It just means that an era is passing. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 6 - PLUNDERINGS By Brian Lee, Node ID ->THEHUB =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EMOTICONS (TYPOGRAPHICAL GESTURES) Plundered from Joe Ewbank ->PANDY in the TAGLINES conference :D Big Smile, Laughing :* Kiss [], {} Hug ;) Wink :) Smile :( Frown :O I'm Amazed :P Pffff!, Sticking Out Tongue :I I'm Bored :> Devilish Grin B) I'm Wearing My Shades ---<--- A Rose :X My Lips Are Sealed :'( I'm Crying O:) Angel, Innocent ]:>, }:> Devil (----U)[ Beer (----Y) Champagne :-) Humorous, Joking :-( Sad, Long Face :-') Tounge In Cheek :-() Shout ;-) Wink =:-() Scares Me Too |) Geordi LaForge :-! Foot In Mouth :-$ Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is O:-) Don't Blame Me, I'm Innocent %-/ Don't Blame Me, I'm Hungover <:-) Don't Blame me, I'm a Dunce C:-) Blame Me, I'm An Egghead [:-|] Sent By A Robot :-)8 Sent By A Gentleman 8:-) Sent By A Little Girl (8-) Sent By An Owl (:\/ Sent By A Duck :-)=== Sent By A Giraffe (-:|:-) Sent By Siamese Twins d:-) I Like To Play Baseball 9:-) I Am A Baseball Catcher :-| I Can Play The Harmonica :-8 I Just Ate A Pickle >:-) A Little Devil, Vulcan %-| Been Working All Night ::-) Wears Glasses :-{) Has A Mustache }:-( Bull Headed :-[ Vampire :-# Wears Braces :-& Tounge Tied :-D Big Smile, Laugh C|:-= Charlie Chaplin =|:-)= Abe Lincoln :-W Speak With Forked Tounge :- "I Swear" :-X My Lips Are Sealed :-C Really Bummed Out C=:-) Chef *<:-) Santa Claus :-O Mr. Bill *:o) Bozo :*) Ed McMahon o-) Cyclops [:-) Wearing A Walkman :-)) Double Chin :-! Bronx Cheer :-7 Smokes A Pipe :-? Sherlock Holmes With Calabash (Or Data) C:# Football Player :-)=--- Man With Tie :-)8 Man With Bow Tie :_( Vincent Van Gogh :-() I Stubbed My Toe :-( ) You Stepped On My Toe :-( ) You Backed Your Car Over My Toe :- Male >- Female | :-) Highbrow :-)B Double Chin :c) Pig Headed :-oo-: Lover's Kiss : Blank stare -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Plundered from Lee Barker -> ERBBS to Robert Wagner in PROGRAMming Conference Subj: WHAT LANGUAGE TO CHOOSE ÚÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ROBERT WAGNER ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄ· ³o³ Welcome to the Crippled Language of The Month Club. Within ³oº ³o³ a few days you should receive your membership kit and three ³oº ³o³ FREE compilers: Surpas Pascal, an APL of unknown origin (the ³oº ³o³ copyright notice appears to be written in Greek) and Waterloo ³oº ³o³ C2C. Thereafter you will receive a card about every four ³oº ³o³ weeks. If you decline that month's offering, mark a large 'X'³oº ³o³ on the card and mail it back. After you have fulfilled your ³oº ³o³ obligation you may quit at any time. ³oº ÔÍÏÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÏͼ Just to make small talk, that's every FORTH week he stoically lisped, unless you have MUMPS. But OOPs sounds like a mistake, and while we don't object to Borland's vision, I don't C why it is only a prolog to plus. Plus you know it's a kids language when the pilot must tell turtle about the logo. Of course you could write Stage2 in fortran to process FLUB macros to build a Basic WISP implementation. If you want to get looped, there's always a fifth, case closed. Oh yes, you can't quit at any time, but you may exit. (¨ best language ?) =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 7 - AUTHOR OF EXECUTIVE HOST PASSES AWAY By Jeff Smart, Node ID ->DESIGN =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= We received the following from Jeff Smart ->DESIGN a few weeks ago. RIME extends its sympathies to John's family. Hi Curt: Just to advise you that the author of Executive Host BBS s/w, John Wright, passed away a few weeks ago. It was rather untimely that this excellent BBS s/w has just got mentioned in the RIME's new UTI list, since the UTI's had been available for quite some time. Also the same note says they are available from John's board (which may now be in doubt ?). It may be best to alter this to either Steve Wood ->WOODSHED or myself ->DESIGN until we know better. From speaking with John some weeks ago, he seemed very keen that someone would keep this s/w going... so a few of us are looking into this.. will advise. It would be nice if you could include a short note in the next RIMETIMES in respect to John. Thanks and take care, Jeff =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 8 - SECURITY AND SAFE COMPUTING By J. Barrett, Node ID ->MORE =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= July Virus Alerts: Trigger Dates: Virus Name July - December Got-You (.EXE file growth, creates hidden files) Jerusalem-PLO (TSR, .EXE and .COM growth) Jerusalem-Mendoza (TSR, .EXE and .COM growth) July 13th July 13th (.EXE file growth, Screen effects) =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Warnings seen in the conferences: MAXRES.ZIP ---------- There is a file being circulated on BBS's called MAXRES.ZIP or MAXRES.ARJ or similar, and that claims to be written by Samuel H. Smith but in fact is a Trojan designed to damage your system. Do not run MAXRES.EXE. The ZIP file contains three files: a 3009 byte DOC file, a 14046 byte EXE file and a 286 byte FILE_ID.DIZ as shown below: Archive: MAXRES.ZIP Length Method Size Ratio Date Time CRC-32 Attr Name ------ ------ ----- ----- ---- ---- ------ ---- ---- 14046 Implode 10870 23% 05-23-92 16:25 60ea257c --w MAXRES.EXE 3009 Implode 1246 59% 05-23-92 16:26 d088b76c --w MAXRES.DOC 286 Shrunk 242 16% 05-23-92 16:28 41ac75a2 --w FILE_ID.DIZ ------ ------ --- ------- 17341 12358 29% 3 The included FILE_ID.DIZ causes the upload description to appear like this: MAXRES.ZIP 12670 05-23-92 MAXRES Graphics Interface Enhancement v1.00 | Compiled: 4:25 p.m. Saturday, May 23, 1992 | MAXRES will check your graphics interface | and show you resolutions of your interface | card. For SVGA, VGA, EGA, and CGA types. | It will explain how to improve speed of | output to screen. | Files: 3 Old: 05/23/92 New: 05/23/92 * DIZ | Uploaded by: User Name I did not attempt to run MAXRES.EXE but have received reports that it accesses your drive A: and probably also drive C:. It passes all virus scans available to me as of 6/11/92. This program is a total hoax- it was not written by me, even though it contains my phone numbers, mailing address and copyright notices. Because of this hoax, I will never release a program called "MAXRES". If you see the files MAXRES.ZIP or MAXRES.ARJ on any BBS or on-line system, please ask the SysOp of that system to remove the files IMMEDIATELY. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= XTRATANK -------- ... I would suggest checking the HACKERS REPORT in a shareware, etc. conference. This is a dangerous file you have on your system. It is reputed as being a virus infected / hacked file and can HARM you system. If it has not done so already, it is recommended that you take it off. ... Does anybody have any experience with the XTRATANK.ZIP program ? I have it installed and it is memory resident, the confusing thing about it is files added or deleted don't seem to figure in the memory calculation at 50 % size like I would expect them too. A 100k program adds or reduces disk size by 100K. Installation seemed smooth but with the DOS measurements of disk space available I can't tell if it is working or not. Any help would be appreciated. ... XTRATANK does nothing but double the reported size of disk space free... It doesn't change the amount of disk space free. It's useless. Get rid of it. ... XTRATANK is an elaborate hoax. See the Hack Reports for more details, but I suggest you just dump it ASAP. ... WARNING!!!! Look in this conference for the HACK REPORT - XTRATANK is a HOAX, and *MAY* also be damaging!!! ... I imagine you have received many responses about this.. but just in case, I thought I would reply as well..... XTRATANK is a hoax. Read the latest (or previous) HackReports about it. I think you will want to get rid of it afterwards. The HackReports are available on this conference and come out monthly. I cannot remember exactly what the report said about this program, but the warnings against using it stuck. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= MULTI-2 ------- There is a brandy-new virus in the Rhode Island Area, the MULTI-2. The only program which can detect this virus is SCAN91! NOT SCAN90, but only SCAN91. Got that??? The only thing that can clean up MULTI-2 is CLEAN91B! Not CLEAN91, but only 91B!!! Believe it! MULTI-2 destroyed three hard drives of another BBS. However, it was not detected before another SysOp downloaded an infected file and sent it up elsewhere. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= VSHIELD ------- The first file to watch out for is VSHIELD. The second file to watch out for is ALL OTHERS that you have not SCANned with SCAN91!!!! At the end of the unzip, watch for: Exploding: VALIDATE.DOC -AV Exploding: VIRLIST.TXT -AV Authentic files Verified! # NWN405 Zip Source: McAfee ASSOCIATES The "-AV" means Authenticity Verified. The second thing to watch for is # NWM405 which shows you that the zipfile came from McAfee Associates. Never use ANY other SCAN, CLEAN, NETSCAN or VSHIELD if it didn't unzip with the above verification number. Easy Does It. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= PKZIP 2.2 TROJAN ---------------- 06/10/1992 WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -------------------------------------------------------------------- There is a file being circulated on BBS's called PKZIPV2.EXE or PKZIPV2.ZIP or similar, and that claims to be version 2.2 of PKZIP but in fact is a simple program not at all related to any PKWARE product. This program will attempt to erase all files on your hard drive. As of the date of this writing, the latest version of PKZIP is version 1.10. If you see the files PKZIPV2.ZIP or PKZIPV2.EXE on any BBS or on-line system, please ask the SysOp of that system to remove the files IMMEDIATELY Of course, because of this PKWARE will never release a version of PKZIP with the version number 2.2. Please note that PKWARE policy is to ship an upgrade to registered users BEFORE making a program available for download. If you have any information about the source of PKZIPV2.EXE or PKZIPV2.ZIP, please report it to PKWARE immediately, either: by Voice at 414-354-8699 by BBS at 414-354-8670 by FAX at 414-354-8559 or by mail: PKWARE Inc. 9025 N. Deerwood Drive Brown Deer, WI 53223 USA Sincerely, PKWARE Inc. Technical Support PCRelay:CRS -> #460 RelayNet (tm) =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= WOLF3D ------ Not to alarm anyone (these messages with a subject of VIRUS ALERT usually do), but for those of you who play Apogee games, you may be interested in the following. Apogee recently released WOLF3D, a superb three dimensional game. Recently on bulletin boards, a separate program was posted (NOT released by Apogee or affiliated with them in any way), that was a "patch" allowing you to run an .EXE file that would restore your character in the game to the last level, with 100% health points, and 99 rounds of ammunition. This program (called WOLFCHEAT or similar name) does contain a virus. It will pass through most virus checking programs undetected. The newest version of SCAN (SCANV91.ZIP) WILL detect the virus, older versions will not. Central Point Anti-Virus does not detect the virus. This virus supposedly will reformat the C: hard drive. Hopefully this will not happen to anyone. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Till next month when I plan to submit more detailed virus alerts, J. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 9 - BBS PERSONALITY By Eric Hendrix, Node ID ->PROLINK =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= BBSing is currently undergoing the most dynamic changes in its history. The days of evolution are over; we're now in a period of revolution. The decisions facing SysOps have never been more complex. Many long-accepted principles no longer hold true; our users are much more intelligent and selective than in the past. We're becoming more competitive every day. On the other hand, there's never been a time of greater opportunity for those who recognize the situation and adjust in a sound, aggressive, and consistent manner. Every board is based on an attitude, a philosophy, a look. The faster you can determine your image and communicate it to your users, the faster you'll succeed in the "electronic communications jungle". This is where marketing comes in. The term "marketing" is often misunderstood. Real marketing means focusing tightly on identifiable users, and meeting their needs. Marketing includes all aspects of your board: planning, advertising, promotion, "merchandise" (files, etc.), visual presentation, and board design. It's not strictly advertising, but the communication of an image. To survive and prosper, you must do more than copy your competition. You must develop a marketing plan that is both effective and achievable, covering these areas: * What is my board? * What is its reputation? * To whom does it appeal? * What is the board's competition? * How does my board compare with theirs? * Who are our target users? * How should we communicate with them? Take an honest look at your board, your competition, and your users. Size up your current and potential place in the market. Then draw up a plan by which you can achieve your desired end. Make sure that your plan is not simply an advertising strategy. Cover every part of your board and work toward the development of your users' perception of your board. Keep in mind that you can't be all things to all people. When you try, you become nothing special to anyone. Here are five steps to planning your board's image: 1. Define your purpose. Develop your board's statement of purpose from a user's perspective, the user's perception of reality. The focus of your planning should be long-term. This may be difficult if you've been operating solely on the basis of yesterday's numbers. 2. Define your targets precisely. Include everything from advertising messages to file assortments to subscription fees and service strategies. 3. Assess your strengths and weaknesses. Take an objective look at your board and your competition. See where the opportunities lie and begin to correct problems. Because your membership increases and added market share must come (primarily) from your competition, be sure that your program outperforms theirs. 4. Develop your team. Know where your board is going and tell your Co-SysOps. If they don't understand where you're headed, you won't get there. Make your team a part of the planning process. 5. Formulate your communication plan. Once you've determined what your board is and what you want to do with it, write a plan for communicating it to your partners and to your users. When you work on your marketing plan, be sure it addresses these areas: * Identification of your board's niche. You must be able to convince your users that your board is the best choice for their needs. Files aren't enough. Emphasize what's special about your board, particularly service. * Innovation. Don't accept complacency. The market is constantly changing, and so is your user. Watch, observe, look for opportunities, and continually reevaluate your plan. Create an environment worthy of your user. Remember, you have no inherent "right" to their patronage; if you let things slip once, it may cost you many users' respect. * Flexibility. You should be able to attack or retreat should an opportunity arise. Unlike brand marketing, BBS's can't develop a plan and then wait for results to happen (phone lines are expensive). Be fully prepared to incorporate the latest on-line games, protocols, network subs, and the like. * A specialized environment. Have you created an enticing board? Boards have a "personality" in the user's mind; develop an atmosphere that attracts your targeted users. And one that doesn't scare these new users away when they log on for the first time. * Service. This is your edge against the competition. Make sure that your entourage (Co-SysOps, etc.) live up to your expectations. Survey your users to find out: * What they want. * Where you stand with them. * What they perceive as your strengths and weaknesses. * What they believe they can get _only_ from you. * What they think about bulletin board systems in general. Increase your image awareness and you'll increase the number of users you have. If you have any questions or further comments about these ideas, please E-Mail me in COMMON (->PROLINK), or call Webster's Place BBS (303) 367-5253. And GOOD LUCK! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 10 - FBI SEIZES "PIRATE" BOARD =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "PC Bulletin Board Hit by FBI Raid" By Josh Hyatt (Boston Globe) From: (Chicago Tribune, June 14. Sect 7, p 3) BOSTON--In one of the first reported crackdowns of its kind, six FBI agents raided a computer bulletin board based in a Millbury, Mass., home last week. Authorities said the bulletin board's operator had been illegally distributing copyrighted software. Executing a criminal search warrant, the agents seized several computers, six modems and a program called PC Board, which was used to run the bulletin board. Authorities also seized documents that listed users of the service. No arrests were made, according to the Software Publisher's Association, a trade group that brought the case to the FBI's attention. The association estimates that, as of March, the bulletin board had distributed $675,000 worth of copyrighted software; software pirates, it says, annually steal as much as $12 billion this way. The FBI will not comment on the case except to confirm that a raid had taken place and that the investigation is continuing. The alleged operator of the bulletin board, Richard Kenadek, could not be reached for comment. Around the same time as the raid, the software association filed a civil lawsuit against Kenadek, charging him with violating copyright laws. Ilene Rosenthal, the group's director of litigation, said that "the man had incriminated himself" through various computerized messages. "There's plenty of evidence to show that he was very aware of everything on his bulletin board," she said. Bulletin boards let personal computer users access a host computer via modems. Typically, participants exchange information regarding everything from computer programs to tropical fish. They may also, for example, obtain upgrades of computer programs. The association said its own four-month investigation revealed that this bulletin board, called Davy Jones Locker, contained copies of more than 200 copyrighted programs. Rosenthal said users also were encouraged to contribute copyrighted software programs for others to download or copy. According to Rosenthal, subscribers paid a fee, $49 for three months or $99 for one year. She said Davy Jones Locker had nearly 400 paying subscribers in 36 states and 11 foreign countries. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 11 - COMPUTER, SPEECH, AND PRIVACY ON RADIO From The InterNet Risks Forum =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1992 18:37:30 EDT From: Paul Hyland Subject: File 2--CFP-II Radio Shows COMPUTER, FREEDOM, PRIVACY CONFERENCE-II on RADIO Public radio listeners across the nation will have "virtual front row seats" at the Second Annual Conference on Computers, Freedom, and Privacy. The sessions were recorded at the March conference by Bruce Koball and digitally edited for broadcast by Gregg McVicar (The Privacy Project). Ten one-hour programs will be available to stations through the public radio satellite system, beginning June 23rd. #1 Bruce Sterling "Speaking for the Unspeakable" #2 Ethics, Morality, and Criminality #3 Logging on to the Networks of the Future #4 Free Speech and the Public Telephone Network #5 Who's in Your Genes? Genetic Data Banking & Privacy #6 Private Collection of Personal Information #7 Privacy and Intellectual Freedom in the Digital Library #8 Computers in the Workplace: Elysium or Panopticon? #9 Who Holds the Keys? Cryptography, Privacy, and Security. #10 Public Policy for the 21st Century. Each station decides independently whether or not to air a program offering and where to place it in its broadcast schedule. Therefore, interested listeners are advised to immediately contact the program director at their public radio station in support of carrying the COMPUTERS, FREEDOM, & PRIVACY series locally. KALW in San Francisco, Oregon Public Broadcasting, KPBS in San Diego, WYEP in Pittsburgh, and WUMB in Boston plan to air the programs this summer and have graciously provided seed funding for the project. For more information, contact Gregg McVicar at Pacific Multimedia (510) 938-2877, or GMcVicar@MCImail.com =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 12 - PASSWORDS REVISITED - A NEW TWIST From the InterNet Risks Forum =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Date: Mon, 8 Jun 92 10:06:27 JST >From: shaun@isr.recruit.co.jp (Shaun Lawson) Subject: BBS Fraud (Tokyo) This is a summarized translation from Japanese of a posting of H. Murakami (mhiroshi@tansei.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp) regarding the use of a bulletin board service in Japan to commit fraud. Method: 1) The perpetrator opens a BBS. 2) Passwords and E-mail addresses are collected. 3) The passwords and E-mail addresses are used to gain access to the BBS users Nifty Serve or PC-VAN accounts. (Similar to Compuserve and Prodigy) 4) The passwords of these accounts are changed to prevent access of the real users. 5) A bank account is opened under an assumed name. 6) 'For Sale' notices for PC's etc. at low prices are posted from the stolen accounts. 7) Victims replying to the postings are requested to transfer money into the bogus bank account. 8) The money is withdrawn and the victims are out of luck. The police were able to arrest the perpetrator after his face was recorded by bank security cameras when he withdrew the money. Morals of this story: A) Use different passwords for different accounts. B) Log on regularly to check for irregularities. Shaun Lawson, Institute for Supercomputing Research, 1-13-1 Kachidoki, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, Japan 104 (03)3536-7770 shaun@isr.recruit.co.jp =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 13 - EVEN PEROT GETS HIT!!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Richmond, June 9 (AP) -- An intruder erased information on about 17,000 supporters of Ross Perot from a computer file at the undeclared Presidential Candidate's Virginia headquarters, campaign officials said. They added, however, that they have copies of the files destroyed in the weekend incident. The data included the names, addresses, telephone numbers and notes on about 17,000 Perot supporters in Virginia. "It's not a political act as far as I'm concerned," said Mark Adams, the state petition coordinator for Virginians for Perot. "I don't feel threatened by anything of that nature." [From the NY Times, 10 Jun 1992, p. A20] =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 14 - CONFERENCE NEWS By James Wall, Node ID ->DREAM =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= New Conferences: NONE -------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following conferences have name changes: UBBS (77) has been renamed to Ultra BBS II Software (UltraBBS) The description has changed to the following: Official support conference for the top shareware multi-node BBS package available. Open to everyone including users and SysOps with other software. (Registration is NOT required for assistance!). Join the hundreds of SysOps internationally who actively provide support to fellow SysOps. Hosted by owner/author Chwatal Development Co. Conference 131 has been renamed to GAP DOORS/MAINMAIL FOR GAP (GapMain) DESCRIPTION: Direct author support of Gap Doors including MailMail for Gap. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following hosts have changed nodes: Host changes are as follows: Steve Kapinos Node ID ->HNIS is now hosting Nintendo (159) Roy Salisbury Node ID ->EXPRESS is now hosting GT BBS (162) Bill Leaming Node ID -> VOCATION is now hosting WordPerfect (61) Fleet Teachout Node ->HNIS is now hosting ROOTS (36) Ron Hossack Node ->SOLIDRCK is now hosting SPITFIRE SYSOPS (182) George Lollar Node ->BECBBS is now hosting Dr-Dos (201) Steven and Shelley Dubin Node ->MOONDOG are now co-hosting Norton (285) Lewis Kopp Node ->SQUAWK is now hosting Motorcycles (141) Max Moen Node ID ->BMCBBS is now hosting PROCOMM (134) =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 15 - WHO'S WHO AND WHAT'S WHAT By Patrick Lee, Node ID ->RUNNINGB =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= The following is a list of "Who's Who" in RelayNet: Steering Committee: Bonnie Anthony RUNNINGA Rex Hankins IBMNET Howard Belasco RUNNINGB JThomas Howell MORE Mike Glenn PARTY Conference related: Paul Hileman BAYOU Conference Liaison (handles all intra-conference problems) Rick Kingslan OMAHANET Marketing Coordinator (PR) James Wall DREAM Conference Manager Patrick Lee RUNNINGB Statistician AUTOSEND lists: Bonnie Anthony RUNNINGA Nodes listing (RIME.ZIP) James Wall DREAM Conference list (CONFLST.ZIP) James Wall DREAM Conference list (RIMECONF.ZIP) BBS software that currently has an UTI interface with PCRelay: dBBS MajorBBS Remote Access Auntie Maximus Spitfire EIS PCBoard/ProDoor Searchlight Executive Host QuickBBS TriTel GAP RBBS UltraBBS GT Power Wildcat! The Maximus UTI has been released. (It was listed in the April RIME Times but it was not released at that time; it is now.) The filename is MXUTI21A.LZH and can be found on the author's support board at (513) 237-7737. The Executive Host UTI is a new addition. For information on obtaining a copy, contact either Jeff Smart ->DESIGN or Steve Wood ->WOODSHED. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 16 - NOTICES =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= RIME TIMES is now dispatched by Bonnie Anthony to all nodes in the network. No AUTOSEND list is required. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- To make life easier for the staff, the following submittal guidelines are suggested: 1) To be included in the next month's newsletter, articles must be received by the 15th of the current month. 2) A routed, receiver-only (private) message in the COMMON conference is acceptable. Please route general material and queries to: Curt Akin Node ID ->MORE. Submittals to Jackie's Beanstalk should be sent to Jackie Doty Node ID ->MORE. 3) When submitting articles or sending other messages to the Staff of RIME Times, don't assume receipt until you've heard from the recipient. We will acknowledge your message, and if you don't hear within 3-4 days, resend it. Don't depend on return receipts. 4) Your name as used on RIME. 5) Your Node ID if you are a RIME SysOp or your "home" board ID if you are a RIME user. 6) Any special instructions. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Notice: 1. The RIMENEWS Conference (200) is a READ ONLY conference. Node SysOps can force this conference to be read only by adding the following line immediately after the EXPORT: PKZIP -d .RLY *.200 2. RIME distribution files which used to be identified with MMYY in their file names are now identified YYMM. This change makes RIME files appear in date sequence in sorted listings. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- RIME TIMES is published monthly by the membership of RelayNet International Message Exchange as its official newsletter. Users and SysOps are encouraged to contribute. (c) Copyright 1992, The RelayNet International Message Exchange. Permission is hereby granted for unlimited distribution and duplication, provided such distribution and duplication are strictly for non-commercial purposes and that no alterations are made to any file contained in the distribution archive. All other rights reserved. RelayNet and RIME are registered trademarks.