°°°°°°Ü °°Ü °°°ÜÜ°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°Ü °°°ÜÜ°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°Ûß°°Û °°Û °°Û°°Û°°Û °°Ûßßßß ß°°Ûßß °°Û °°Û°°Û°°Û °°Ûßßßß °°Ûßßßß °°°°°Ûß °°Û °°Û ßß°°Û °°°°°Ü °°Û °°Û °°Û ßß°°Û °°°°°Ü °°°°°°Ü °°Ûß°°Ü °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Ûßßß °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Ûßßß ßßß°°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°°°°°Ü °°Û °°Û °°Û °°Û °°°°°°Ü °°°°°°Û ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßßßßßß =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= JUNE RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1992 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ÄÂÄ Â Â ÚÄ¿ ³ ÃÄ´ ÃÄ See Article #4. The Belasco Bash came off in Á Á Á ÀÄÄ fine style, attended by many, including those Ú¿ ÚÄ¿ ÚÄ¿   from a distance of thousands of miles. ÃÁ¿ ÃÄ´ ÀÄ¿ ÃÄ´ ÀÄÙ Á Á ÀÄÙ Á Á --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Most recent count of nodes - 976 (+13) Most recent count of hubs - 110 Currently active International Conferences - 280 (+4) --------------------------------------------------------------------------- RIME Times Staff Editor.....................................................Curt Akin ->MORE Editorial Associates: Copy Editor and Design Consultant.................J. Barrett ->MORE Jackie's Beanstalk............................Jackie Doty ->THEDOCK ShareWare.....................................Patrick Grote ->SHRPT The Inner View..............................Inez Harrison ->MOONDOG Editor of Poetry in Motion distributed by RIME Plunderings......................................Brian Lee ->THEHUB Who's Who....................................Patrick Lee ->RUNNINGB Computing for the Blind......................Matt Roberts ->EDSHOME Security and Safe Computing.........................To be announced --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Table of Contents --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Article# Subject Author 1 Frankly, Curt Curt Akin Node ID ->MORE 2 RIME's Infinite Possibilities Morten Sillesen Node ID ->DKBBBS 3 Jackie's Beanstalk Jackie Doty Node ID ->THEDOCK 4 The Inner View Inez Harrison Node ID ->MOONDOG 5 ShareWare Patrick Grote Node ID ->SHRPT 6 Stolen from the Conferences 7 Computing for the Blind Matt Roberts Node ID ->EDSHOME 8 Security and Safe Computing 9 RIME Conference Volume Statistics Bonnie Anthony Node ID ->RUNNINGA 10 Conference News James Wall Node ID ->DREAM 11 Who's Who and What's What Patrick Lee Node ID ->RUNNINGB 12 Notices -------------------------------------------------------------------------- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 1 - FRANKLY, CURT From your Editor, Node ID ->MORE =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= It's open season in Newport. Memorial Day found us turning our town over to the tourists, and the tourists turning their hard-earned pennies over to our town. It's mostly a peaceful exchange, and we take the town back after Labor Day with a bit of pocket change to last us the winter. Usually quite festive, with the town looking its best, the beginning of open season also brings with it a certain amount of voyeurism on the part of the locals, like who's getting married and who's in each of the recreational vehicles and other things we do to pass the time it takes to walk rather than drive (a Sherman tank in full battle gear might make it safe). The hotels would sport signs saying things like "Congratulations, Bambi and Sean" and the big homes on wheels would announce "Tina and Bob from Dispatch, Wyoming," and there they were peering down at us as we crossed in front of their mobile version of the American dream. Kinda personal, kinda nice. This year, there's something very wrong. I pass signs on hotels that say "Welcome, Newlyweds" and see, not Tina and Bob, but "The Taylors". It's as I imagine it would be in a supermarket that sold only generic foods. ....which makes me all the more happy to be able to provide for you, this month, a bit of the warmth of RIME and its folk. We don't have a Bambi and Sean that I know of, but we do have Elaine and Howard who threw a bash that even got Inez Harrison out of the house; she tells us of the happenings. We also, I think, don't have a Tina and Bob from Wyoming, but we have Morten Sillesen from Denmark who is spending 10 weeks enjoying America because of RIME folk who responded to his queries regarding places to stay and people to get to know. Grand fun. ....which makes me even all the more happy to welcome a new column to RIME Times. I'm convinced that many serious, long-lasting relationships have been started with nothing more than blinking RD and SD lights on modems that served to connect, via RIME, two people who would have otherwise never known each other existed. Jackie Doty (Node ID ->THEDOCK) will tell the stories of long-distance relationships, learnings, friendships, and such, and how they unfolded. Enjoy your June. Enjoy our net. But most of all, enjoy yourselves. Until next month, when I hope to bring you more ramblings from the world of RIME... I remain, Frankly, Curt =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 2 - RIME's Infinite Possibilities By Morten Sillesen, Node ID ->DKBBBS =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Morten's travel plans are becoming firm. Remember, all of this came about because of a few messages Morten left in COMMON asking for RIME hosts to help him tour America. Morten's impressions upon arriving on our soil follow. USA-TRAVEL-SCHEDULE ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍËÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» º WHEN º WHERE º ÌÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÎÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ͹ º 6/02-6/07 º New York City, NY º º 6/07-6/18 º Frederick, MD º º 6/18-6/25 º Washington, DC º º 6/25-7/05 º Greenville, VA º º 7/05-7/15 º Bufford, GA º º 7/15-7/25 º New Orleans, LA º º 7/25-8/03 º Long Beach, CA º º 8/03-8/15 º San Diego, CA º ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÊÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ The following was posted on ->MORE at 1:30 a.m., June 4th. [Editor's Note: Morten's idioms have been left intact.] Finally taking off from Danish soil. I've been waiting for this moment in weeks. Seems like a dream comes true, except from saying goodbye to my fiancee and family. The Last Plannings... The past weeks have been very exciting. Even though I had the necessary host-confirmation, there has been a lot of planning to do. The biggest problem has definitely been when exactly to arrive and departure to and from the different hosts. The main reason is that the communication with one of my hosts (New Orleans) has broken down. In the beginning he promised to host me, but later on he suddenly had to do other things. He promised to find me another host among his friends, and ended up with telling me about a guy from his university. But then communication broke down. All I could do was to post a 'real' letter to his university (since I never had his real address) and tell them about the problem. They've gotten the phone numbers on the three hosts before New Orleans, and then maybe they'll call and we can arrange something. I'm definitely going to New Orleans 'cause I've to fly from New Orleans to L.A. Fortunately my hosts are very flexible, and I might be lucky to avoid staying long in New Orleans without a local host. The best of all the planning has been the increasing interest and encouragement from my hosts. Every day there has been at least a couple of messages from one of them. I've felt their eagerness rise through the time of planning, and this has made me feel welcome. From Dream to Reality... That the dream should turn to reality is still not clear to me. But it's a fact, and here's a little about it. Tuesday, June 2. I arrived to JFK airport in NYC. I should meet my first host, and I was really excited about the whole thing when I sat in the plane heading towards NYC. My first host, David Honigsberg, and I had arranged to meet in the airport. Unfortunately we missed each other in the crowd. This way I had my first impression of NYC. First I drove around in the neighborhood of David's apartment to get some cash to pay the cab. Of course none of the available cash machines accepted my VISA card, and the one which did said 'out of service'. Finally we (the cabdriver and I) found a useable machine, and I got some cash to pay with. Next problem was that David wasn't returned from the airport yet. When I waited outside his apartment, his neighbor invited me to her apartment, and I talked to her for half an hour. I felt as a totally stranger in this huge city, but suddenly people began to invite me to their apartments without knowing me. That's very hospitable! Finally David returned from the airport. It was very great to meet him, and, from the very beginning, I felt welcome and taken care of. The next day David showed me a lot of exciting parts of NYC. I saw Manhattan from a Staten Island Ferry, the Stock Exchange, Central Park, and a couple of beautiful cathedrals. I'm impressed of the city and, I'm impressed of the never ending hospitality that every body shows me. David and I already have tight plans for the next couple of days, and I know it'll be a great couple of days. He has also planned a meeting with some of the local BBS'ers, and I can't wait to meet them. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 3 - JACKIE'S BEANSTALK By Jackie Doty, Node ID ->THEDOCK =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Imagine your modem as fertile ground, and each conference you enter as one of Jack's magical beans. Plant a bean, and your beanstalk can take you into worlds unseen, yet waiting. The potential for personal growth is endless. Choose a subject -- nearly any -- in which you have an interest. Post a message, and meet with myriads of people who will share with you, teach you, learn from you... enhance you. We peek out with tentative tendrils of thought, patting the minds of anonymous others. There are times the tendrils twine, and friendship is born in a wondrous way never known before. For myself, I have made friends across the breadth of the US -- from Rhode Island to California -- and gleefully touched on Canada, Paris and parts of the Orient. I have found talents never explored in depth, and teachers to help me expand them. Like Morten, I could easily travel around the world, paying only for the transportation... and probably have a bit of help with that! In this column, we'll explore the potentials and examine a few of the beanstalks climbed. We welcome comments from anyone whose life has been changed by the magic of the modem. We'll touch on many subjects, to include all of the expanding horizons. There may even be an article on the lowly tagline, our new Poor Richard's Almanac. HAVE YOU: ... watched a talent grow? ... found a new vocation? ... enhanced an old vocation? ... found help with a problem? ... traveled and visited? ... started a relationship? ... met a mate? ... any and all of the above! If so, please contact me routed in the COMMON Conference at Node ID ->THEDOCK, and share your experience with us. Talk to you later!  Jackie =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 4 - THE INNER VIEW By Inez Harrison, Node ID ->MOONDOG =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Rehash of the May 9th Bash There are round-tables, there are parties, there are events but pure joy is being in attendance at the Belasco's Bash! Speaking of attendance, here's the list: Bart Lidofsky Emelia Harding Michael Lee Bill Harding Eric Loeb Mike Bauman Bill Johnson Gary Polisky Mike Blake Bill Leaming Howard Karten Pad Gajajiva Bill Slattery Inez Harrison Penny Plant Bill Weitz Joey Galletta Randi Kopp-to-be Bob Brown Jon Amato Rebecca Greif Bob Litty JThomas Howell Robert Bakley Bruce Grief Judy Friedman Robin Greene Carol Carmichael Ken Halfon Samantha Ciaston D.K. Lee Lana Fox Schlomoh Sherman Dave Clark Lewis Kopp Shelly Dubin (From KWAJALEIN!) Lisa Johnson Skip Ross David Johnson Lori Alpert Steve Dubin Don Cheeks Lou Kairys Steve Nazorone Dries Bessels Lucien Greif Steve Poggio (From HOLLAND!) Lyn Rust Steve Sambor Tammy Johnson The RIME Event of the year started by Bonnie Anthony getting ill and not being able to attend. Lou Kairys played chauffeur for Dries Bessels and Dave Clark, Friday and Saturday until his back went out. Dries and Dave took the 5th under legal advice, and a reliable source informed me that Lou stated that next year he'll probably have more people to get stuck in a traffic jam with on the Cross Bronx Expressway throwing his back out. The last I heard Dries and Dave were still at Lou's house! Penny Plant, Lyn Rust, Lana Fox, Don Cheeks and Mike Blake, staying with the Belasco's, were greeted with a bar-b-que Friday which started at 6 p.m. and RIMEd into the wee hours. Saturday Morning, Pad came by and picked up Lyn and drove to Robin Greenes house where Lori Alpert was waiting for their special trip to Zabar's, deli extraordinary. They got back to the Bash about 1 p.m. to find it in full swing. The weather cooperated, and all spilled out to the patio so there was as much room for everybody as there was food. Skip Ross made lasagna and donated the fresh fruit and vegetables, with the largest strawberries anybody had EVER seen, while Joey Galletta made 20 pounds of great meatballs that got smothered in Skip's sauce. What a treat! The bash continued after 9:00 p.m. on Saturday when Howard guided 19 RIMErs down to Say Eng Lok in Chinatown, Howard's favorite Chinese restaurant. Joining the (by now regular) out of towners were Bill and Emelia Harding, Carol Carmichael, Bob Litty, Bob Bakley and Steve Poggio - again they RIMEd into the wee hours. On Sunday after breakfast (bagels, cream cheese, lox and smoked fish), Robin guided Lyn, Penny, Mike, Lori down to Greenwich Village. They started at Barnes & Noble on 18th St., walked down to Washington Square Park, continued down to the beginning of Eighth Avenue and went to the Foul Play Bookstore and walked around some more. Robin, Lyn and Penny stopped at Grandpa's Italian Restaurant (owned by Al Lewis, Grandpa of the Munsters TV show and once on Car 54, Where Are You) while Mike and Lori continued on to the Science Fiction Bookstore. Eventually everyone got back together and had dinner. (One of the meanings of RIME is "to cover with" and Robin certainly had this situation "COVERED"!) Monday they went to Rockerfeller Center, 5TH Avenue, Stage Deli for lunch and then home to another bar-b-que at Chez Belasco. Tuesday, they all went home. Howard is a GREAT GUY and the saying that behind every Great Man there's a Terrific woman is spelled "E L A I N E"! An event such as this, with so much class can only be recognized as a "BASH"! Howard and Elaine Belasco truly know how to hold a BASH! I'm convinced: "You don't need a reason, you just need RIME"! [Note: Skip Ross created The Poetry Corner on July 31, 1990 while he was RIME's Conference Coordinator and meeting him was like coming face to face with my creator! THANKS SKIP!] =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 5 - SHAREWARE REVIEW By Patrick Grote, Node ID ->SHRPT =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= PROGRAM: Directory Freedom, Version 4.50 AUTHOR: Gordon Haff Bits Mason Consulting 3205 Windsor Ridge Dr. Westborough, MA 01581 RELEASED: December, 1991 REGISTRATION: $25.00 RESTRICTIONS: None RATING: 9.4 out of 10 NAME/SIZE: DF450(R).ZIP, 192K The game of DOS shells is much like its street wise predecessor. Each person running the game (the author) has promised that under his shell is a lifetime of easy, convenient DOS file access and manipulation. Leading to kitchensinkitis, the authors clearly miss the point that software can be versatile, functional and affordable in one roll of the dice, without having to include every feature. Directory Freedom (DF) has its visual roots in the reliable PC Magazine programs CO and DR. What began as a simple enhancement to the program DC, by Peter Esherick, has blossomed into a full fledged utility. From the screen layout to the function key assignments, DF follows the path of efficiency and speed. DF's documentation appears to be professionally written. I say "appears," for Gordon Haff confesses to the fact that he has written the documentation. Laid out in a very organized, thoughtful manner, the documentation allows you to quickly get up to speed with DF, while the appendixes act as a useful reference for subjects like Patching Instructions and User-Defined Commands. As you read through the documentation, the inclusion of page numbers and section numbers reassure you that you are on the right path. Configuring DF for the first time use couldn't be easier. Included in the archive is a separate set-up program called DFCONFIG, which allows you to configure almost every aspect of DF via menu selections. Among the more notable aspects of configuration are sort and verify defaults. As a side note, in the ever increasing hysterical world of viruses, DFCONFIG allows you to make your configuration changes to the DF.COM file or to a separate text based file. Using DF is easier than configuring it! Standard key configurations apply in DF, such as the SpaceBar for tagging/untagging files. The screen layout is simple to understand. Your key assignments are always available to be seen. An example follows: Dir of P:\REVIEW Default dest P:\ .. 12-10-91 2:10p ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» BUFSTUF1 ZIP 52075 12-03-91 12:26p º Directory Freedom º #1PAGA ZIP 310760 11-13-91 2:02a º Version 4.50á5 º AC150A ZIP 39084 12-07-91 6:00a º Copr.Gordon Haff,1991 º DF450 ZIP 192197 12-06-91 6:02p ÇÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄĶ DRY_III ZIP 121038 12-07-91 12:36a º F1 Copy º GET25 ZIP 80195 12-04-91 8:40a º F2 Delete º MACE120 ZIP 177569 12-07-91 9:30a º F3 Move º JABR101 ZIP 101618 11-26-91 11:02p º F4 Rename º LABSUP10 ZIP 150439 11-28-91 8:08p º F5 Clear marks º ACD200 ZIP 37326 12-01-91 10:51p º F6 Mark remainder º PETPE282 ZIP 234760 12-16-91 9:38p º F7 Swap Mark/Unmark º MM630 ZIP 138823 12-01-91 10:37p º F8 Swap Dir/Dest. º GRABB392 ZIP 113400 12-01-91 8:53a º F9 Change Dir º ODYSSEY ZIP 312803 12-03-91 8:58a º F10 Change Dest. º KWS103 ZIP 11007 12-12-91 9:01a º F11 Re-Mark files º GALIT170 ZIP 347226 12-23-91 10:01a º F12 Secondary Viewer º WORDQ111 ZIP 41979 12-23-91 10:01a º Alt-Z Help º ELFE04 ZIP 170812 12-20-91 8:14a º ESC or Alt-Q to Exit º SEEMEM20 ZIP 17804 12-21-91 8:29a ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ Volume: 319,619,072 bytes free Destination disk has319,619,072 bytes free Row 1 of 26. 3,014,656 bytes/ 24 files The files are laid out in an easy to understand fashion, with the actions that you can perform on the right. If you hit the ALT key, a new menu appears on the right displaying more options. Again, if you hit the CTRL key more options appear. Just what are these options you ask? Well, DF ships with twenty mainstay commands that range from copying a file to running a program to swapping a video mode. These options all run in conjunction with files being tagged and execute quickly. DF sometimes has trouble reporting adequate error levels from the disk drive (when a file is in use by another process, DF doesn't let you know this.) The strongest area of DFs composite consists of the user's ability to define no less than ten key assignments, depending on the keyboard. This means that you can assign the function of TYPING an ANSI screen to CTRL-F6, with a simple entry in DFCONFIG. Your DOS shell literally becomes an extension of yourself. You no longer have to remember what switches allow PKZIP to view and then test a file, for once DF is configured for the action you will have it forever. Flexibility is a key feature of DF, with the configuration of function keys being no exception. Using DFCONFIG, you control whether a user set-up function pauses after executing, refreshes the DF file screen or can be run against more than one file. With this blend of precision and control, your tedious DOS chores become extremely automated. Convenience is a cornerstone of the DF enterprise. Included in DFCONFIG is the ability to set-up a drive table for quick access to the drives you use most often. This feature works by hitting the cursor keys to move left and right in the drive table. Suppose your drive table is like so: CDEGH. If you were to type DF C:\, you would start off in the root directory of C. If you wanted to quickly go to your H drive all that you would have to do is hit your left cursor key. The same filespec is maintained from drive to drive. A handy feature whose only problem is the inability to configure the drive table on the fly in case you needed to add a drive. Another convenience minded feature can be seen via the ALT-F10 key press. This key press allows you to create an archive by tagging files, then hitting ALT-F10. DF takes over the chore of passing filenames to the archive with the proper switches, etc. A function where DF misses the convenience mark occurs when you simply type DF C:\ from the root of C:, which brings DF up in the root directory of C:. Now, you tag some files to be copied to A:. DF asks you where you would like to copy to. You say A:. DF starts copying, but doesn't update the DESTINATION FREE SPACE field. Understandably, it shouldn't, because you specified the same destination as source in the command line. But wouldn't it be nice to see how much space is left on what you are copying to? As you get to use Df more and more, you begin to wonder how your life in the CPROMPT world of complexity ever existed. Rating Breakdown: ---------------- Performance : DF is quick, accurate and well written. A few 9 out of 10 convenience twists could have been added. Documentation : DF's documentation is well written with special 5 out of 5 care taken to explain common terms to newer users. Ease of Setup : Using DFCONFIG, setup is as easy as running the 5 out of 5 program. Online help and choice of setup method is a plus. Ease of Learning: Standard keys such as SpaceBar for 5 out of 5 tagging/untagging make getting up to speed easy. Ease of Use : Can you touch a function key? Enough said. 5 out of 5 Error Handling : Improved immeasurably from the last release, 4 out of 5 still has problems at times. Mean rating: 33 out of 35 or a 9.4 rating. (C) 1992 - Patrick Grote, 116 Elm Street, Ballwin, MO 63021 -=> For Reprint Permission, Please Write <=- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 6 - PLUNDERINGS By Brian Lee, Node ID ->THEHUB =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= NET ABBREVIATIONS plundered from Brian Hammack ->SYNCITY in the TAGLINES conference AAMOF..................As a matter of fact ATSL...................Along the same line BCNU...................Be seeing you .... BNF....................Big name fan BTW....................By the way CYA....................Cover your a-- CUL8R..................See You Later... It's kind of a play on words, since you don't actually "see" anyone on the computer. FUBAR..................F---ed up beyond all repair FWIW...................For what its worth FYI....................For your information GD&R...................Grinning, Ducking, and Running HHTYAY.................Happy Holidays to You and Yours IANAL..................I Am Not A Lawyer IITYWISWYBMAD..........If I Tell You What It Says, Will You Buy Me A Drink IMCO...................In my considered opinion IMHO...................In My Humble Opinion (generally used in a not so humble context ISBAB..................I should have bought a book ITSFWI.................If the shoe fits, wear it KHYF...................Know how you feel L8R....................Later ... LTNT...................Long time, no type NTYMI..................Now that you mention it OAS....................On another subject OIC....................Oh, I see ... PITA...................Pain in the a-- PPTSPAHS...............Please pass the salt, pepper and hot sauce...used when I've had to eat crow, my hat, and other unsavory dishes! ROTF...................Rolling On The Floor ROTFLMAO...............Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A-- Off ROTFFLMAO..............Rolling On The F Floor Laughing My A-- Off SNAFU..................Situation normal, all f---ed up SOGOTP.................Sh*t or get off the pot SOW....................Speaking of which TFTHAOT................Thanx for the help ahead of time...used for a favor or answer or help that there's no doubt will come, but I want to make sure the person knows I appreciate them taking their time to do it. TOBAL..................There oughta be a law TOBG...................This oughta be good TTFN...................Ta-ta for now YGLT...................You're gonna love this ... YKYARW.................You know you're a redneck when== -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Caught in COMMON: Hi to you all, I have been using a modem ever since I have had a PC which is for approximately 8 years now. The first few years where difficult since there were not very many BBS's around (at least in Holland). Ever since then, I have been using FIDO or related systems but was not happy with them. About half a year ago, I bought a 9600 BPS modem and started a search for 9600 BPS BBS's. I found HOTLINE in Amsterdam which carried yet another network called RIME. I started reading messages, got my first offline reader (after 8 years!!!) and got totally hooked! Now, I am exchanging mail with people all over the world, went to a party [Howard's bash! -Ed] in New York, met a lot of GREAT people, etc! Just wanted to say to you all: "This is a great thing! Let's do everything we can to keep it that way!" Brgds Dries Bessels Amsterdam, The Netherlands =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 7 - COMPUTING FOR THE BLIND By Matt Roberts, Node ID ->EDSHOME =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Emergency! Root directory Deleted It is late at night and you have just installed a shareware program. You try it and you decide to delete it. After typing "del *.*" you suddenly get a funny feeling that something is wrong. What has happened? You have just deleted your root directory on drive C. Oh no! But wait! You have a boot disk for such an occasion, don't you? If you don't read on. I will show you how you can easily create a boot disk for such a time as this. What Do I Need? Get a copy of your DOS system master disk and a blank disk. Copy the following files to the blank disk, after you have formatted it (COMMAND.COM AUTOEXEC.BAT AND CONFIG.SYS.) Now, put your master disk into a drive and type the following: "sys a:." You have just transferred the system to your blank disk or the boot disk. You must edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files to insert the path for TSR'S and other programs that load when the computer is turned on. You might be asking what this has to do with computing for the blind. It is simple. I had this situation happen to me two weeks ago and I didn't have a boot disk. I therefore had to waste paper on my braille printer to know what was wrong. Speech users take note; your Autoexec.bat file probably brings up your speech software. Make sure you edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files or your system won't talk. I hope everyone will take a few minutes today to prevent a headache later. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 8 - SECURITY AND SAFE COMPUTING By Curt Akin, Node ID ->MORE =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Several issues ago, Carol Carmichael warned of using the same password on more than one BBS. Well, the inevitable happened, and I'm sharing it with you in the hope that it will urge you just a little bit more than gently to use a different password on every BBS you call. Recently a very tasteless message was left on one of RIME's nodes to a member of the Steering Committee. The "sender" was one of RIME's Conference Hosts. He didn't send it, but he used the same password on all the BBSs he called. Yup, he should have known better, but we're not yet all perfect. Bingo! It appears that a less than worthy-to-be-sysop snatched the user name and password and ...well you know the end of the story. Most board software will log the actual password used in failed access attempts. If you use a different password everywhere, then... another Bingo! Any worthy SysOp should contact any user when there has been an obvious attempt to gain access with the wrong password. All you have to do is identify the board where you have used the UNIQUE password attempted, and you've got the less-than-worthy SysOp dead cold. GOT IT? DO IT!!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 9 - RIME's CONFERENCE VOLUME From Bonnie Anthony, Node ID ->RUNNINGA =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Thought you all might be interested in this: A week's total tally for mail through the network: 30,070 public messages 1082 private unrouted messages 5567 routed messages went through the network Our largest conferences with messages over 1000 for the week were: FORSALE - 1556 public messages UPLINK - 1440 public messages WINDOWS - 1115 public messages Of the 5567 routed messages that went through the network 1218 were in COMMON 802 were in FORSALE 232 were in ADMIN Those three conferences accounted for a little less than half the total routed mail. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 10 - CONFERENCE NEWS By James Wall, Node ID ->DREAM =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= New Conferences: NAME: HOMEHNTS NUMBER: 115 DESCRIPTION: This conference will be devoted to all phases of successfully running a home. This will encompass exchanging household hints, discussion and hopefully solutions for users household problems and any other topics which are home related. HOSTS: Sam Kaplin Node ID ->HAVEN Robin Fowler Node ID ->CHANNEL NAME: GAP DOORS/MARKMAIL FOR GAP (GapMark) NUMBER: 131 DESCRIPTION: Direct author support of Gap Doors including Mark Mail for Gap. HOST: Tony Summy Node ID ->THEMAIN NAME: PCBSUPPORT NUMBER: 290 DESCRIPTION: This conference is open only to SysOps who are registered owners of PCBoard whose support is current on Salt Air. All technical questions will be answered directly by the staff of Clark Development. Because Clark Development is using PCRelay software you will be able to send and receive private and routed messages. HOST: David Terry Node Id ->SALTAIR ACTIVITY: New And additional conference provided by Clark Development will be opened shortly and will be conference number 291. Watch this space for further announcements. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following conferences have name changes: 260 Changed from OLX/SLMR to MSI/OLX/SLMR (OLX) 59 Changed from Qmodem to MSI/QMODEM (Qmodem) 138 Changed from Wildcat! to Wildcat! SysOps (Wildcat!) 219 Changed from Mustang Support to MSI/Wildcat Support (MSIWild) -------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following hosts have changed nodes: Chris Engleman, Host Women's (80) is now hosting from ->NOFRILLS Keith Standifer, Host Debate/Current Events is now hosting from ->ONANDUP Host changes are as follows: Ben Sansing Node ID ->CHAOS is now hosting ASTROLOGY (81) =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 11 - WHO'S WHO AND WHAT'S WHAT By Patrick Lee, Node ID ->RUNNINGB =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= The following is a list of "Who's Who" in RelayNet: Steering Committee: Bonnie Anthony RUNNINGA Rex Hankins IBMNET Howard Belasco RUNNINGB JThomas Howell MORE Mike Glenn PARTY Conference related: Paul Hileman BAYOU Conference Liaison (handles all intra-conference problems) Rick Kingslan OMAHANET Marketing Coordinator (PR) James Wall DREAM Conference Manager Patrick Lee RUNNINGB Statistician AUTOSEND lists: Bonnie Anthony RUNNINGA Nodes listing (RIME.ZIP) James Wall DREAM Conference list (CONFLST.ZIP) James Wall DREAM Conference list (RIMECONF.ZIP) BBS software that currently has an UTI interface with PCRelay: dBBS MajorBBS Remote Access Auntie Maximus Spitfire EIS PCBoard/ProDoor Searchlight Executive Host QuickBBS TriTel GAP RBBS UltraBBS GT Power Wildcat! The Maximus UTI has been released. (It was listed in the April RIME Times but it was not released at that time; it is now.) The filename is MXUTI21A.LZH and can be found on the author's support board at (513) 237-7737. The Executive Host UTI is a new addition. It is available from John Wright's Executive Host support BBS (618) 993-5091. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 12 - NOTICES =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= RIME Times will now be dispatched by Bonnie Anthony to all nodes in the network. No AUTOSEND list is required. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- To make life easier for the staff, the following submittal guidelines are suggested: 1) To be included in the next month's newsletter, articles must be received by the 15th of the current month. 2) A routed, receiver-only (private) message in the COMMON conference is acceptable. Please route general material and queries to: Curt Akin Node ID ->MORE. Submittals to Jackie's Beanstalk should be sent to Jackie Doty Node ID ->THEDOCK. 3) When submitting articles or sending other messages to the Staff of RIME Times, don't assume receipt until you've heard from the recipient. We will acknowledge your message, and if you don't hear within 3-4 days, resend it. Don't depend on return receipts. 4) Your name as used on RIME. 5) Your Node ID if you are a RIME SysOp or your "home" board ID if you are a RIME user. 6) Any special instructions. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Notice: 1. The RIMENEWS Conference (200) is a READ ONLY conference. Node SysOps can force this conference to be read only by adding the following line immediately after the EXPORT: PKZIP -d .RLY *.200 2. RIME distribution files which used to be identified with MMYY in their file names are now identified YYMM. This change makes RIME files appear in date sequence in sorted listings. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- RIME Times is published monthly by the membership of RelayNet International Message Exchange as its official newsletter. Users and SysOps are encouraged to contribute. (c) Copyright 1992, The RelayNet International Message Exchange. Permission is hereby granted for unlimited distribution and duplication, provided such distribution and duplication are strictly for noncommercial purposes and that no alterations are made to any file contained in the distribution archive. All other rights reserved. RelayNet and RIME are registered trademarks.