±±±±±±Ü ±±Ü ±±±Üܱ±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±Ü ±±±Üܱ±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±Ûß±±Û ±±Û ±±Û±±Û±±Û ±±Ûßßßß ß±±Ûßß ±±Û ±±Û±±Û±±Û ±±Ûßßßß ±±Ûßßßß ±±±±±Ûß ±±Û ±±Û ßß±±Û ±±±±±Ü ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ßß±±Û ±±±±±Ü ±±±±±±Ü ±±Ûß±±Ü ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Ûßßß ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Ûßßß ßßß±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±±±±±Ü ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±Û ±±±±±±Ü ±±±±±±Û ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßßßßßß ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ³Canada Germany Mexico Norway³ ³ ³ Scotland ³ ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ³ ³USA ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ÉÍÍÏÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÏÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» ³ ³Lichtenstein ³ º º ³ ³ ³ ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄĶ º ³ ³ ³ ³ º R E L A Y N E T º ³ ³ Japan ÀÄÄÄ´ º º ³ ³ ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ º ÇÄ¿ ³ ³ ³ ³ ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÑÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³Portugal ³ Puerto Rico³ ³ ÀÄÄÂÄÄÄÄ´ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄ´ ³ ³ ³ ³Australia ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ ³United Kingdom ³ ³ ³ ³ Guam ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³Denmark ³ ³ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ ³ ³Holland Yuglosavia Peru Saudi Arabia³ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ The RIME Times is published monthly by the membership of RelayNet International Message Exchange as its official newsletter. Users and Sysops are encouraged to contribute. Submissions and questions may be directed to the editors John Dodson, node ->CANTINA or Ed Lazarowitz, node ->CAPCON. (c)Copyright 1990, The RelayNet International Message Exchange. Permission is hereby granted for unlimited distribution and duplication, provided such distribution and duplication are strictly for non-commercial purposes only. All other rights reserved. RelayNet and RIME are registered trademarks. ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 ------------------------------------------------------------- CONTENTS EDITORS FILE 2 by John Dodson, Node id ->CANTINA MEET THE CONFERENCE HOST 2 by Patrick Lee, Node id ->AARDVARK POETRY CORNER 3 By Inez Harrison, Node id ->DORSAI CONFERENCE NEWS 5 by Bonnie Anthony, Node id ->RUNNINGA RIME FAMILY TREES 8 'C' TUTOR 9 by Doug Maclean, Node id ->RUNNINGB BEGINNERS CORNER 11 by Jim Daly, Node id ->TREASURE LIGHT VS. DARK 13 Submitted by Don Cheeks, Node id ->MODEMZNE THE LEGAL CORNER 14 by James J. Spinelli, Node id ->VMC INDUSTRY NEWS 18 by C.E. Langenburg, Node id ->ROF PUZZLE RESULTS! 19 by John Dodson, Node id ->CANTINA NOTES FROM ADMIN 21 by Bonnie Anthony, Node id ->RUNNINGA AS SEEN ON THE BIT STREAM 22 NOTICES 22 Page 2 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- +---------------------------------+ | EDITORS FILE | | | +---------------------------------+ by John Dodson, Node id ->CANTINA Welcome to the October issue of RIME Times! We have yet another fine issue for you. In addition to our host of great regular columns we have some new additions. Inez Harrison the Poetry conference host starts a regular "Poetry Corner" column. The first two poems are from Inez, with subsequent selections coming from the poetry conference. We hope each month to produce a RIME Family Tree, a graphic representation of our Super Regional HUB's. This month's selection of "off the wall" articles includes a highly scientific column on the nature of Light vs Dark and a cutting-edge expose on the computer industry. We have the usual slew of new conference and new node announcements (amazing!) and the results of a tremendously successful puzzle contest. Also, for those sysops who are interested in a pre-packaged on-line version of RIME Times, George Cuccia of Node ->UNION is breaking out the articles every month for display in the TextView door (by Joseph Sheppard). He is making this on-line version of RIME Times available at NETNODE a couple of days after the newsletter is released. Request RmmyyTV.ZIP where "mmyy" is the month and year of release. Thanks George! See you on the next relay! +---------------------------------+ | MEET THE CONFERENCE HOST | | | +---------------------------------+ by Patrick Lee, Node id ->AARDVARK Let me first introduce myself, my name is Patrick Lee and I am the Conference Host of the New Users conference on RIME. I have been with RIME for just over a year now and a lot has changed since then. So let me tell all of you a bit about myself first. I am currently a senior at Stuyvesant High School here in New York City. For me, school is both challenging and fun. Challenging because of the various Advanced Placement courses that I have taken and will be taking; and fun because all of my friends. Right now, I am taking mostly science and mathematics classes and will probably continue in this direction. The most important decision I have to make in the coming months is of course with college. In addition to that, there is the Westinghouse research paper, along with several other contests. My first computer was a Texas Instrument model 99/A, I think. Many of you probably remember that it was a pretty good machine for games, but I did Page 3 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- managed to write a few BASIC programs with it. Later came the Apple IIc, IBM PC/XT, and finally my current set up -- a 386SX with VGA graphics. My modem came along in July of 1989 when I was taking a programming course at New York University and had remote access to their computers. Shortly after, I started BBSing and found the New York Running Board and RelayNet (tm) in August of 1989. In the same month, a new board went up here in the city called the Aardvark BBS and David Greenberger was (still is) the Sysop. David has given me much help over the past year and I thank him for that. Aardvark is now a RIME node and is also my home board for RIME. In the first few months I was on RelayNet (tm), I found myself learning a great deal from the various conferences that I read and within a short period, I was actively participating in the message base instead of doing file transfers all the time. [grin] I took over as the Conference Host of the New Users conference from Dave Schubert some time in 1989 as he was too busy with his own board. The reason why I wanted to become a Conference Host was because RelayNet (tm) has given me so much and I thought it was about time to give some back. The New Users conference itself does not have very well defined boundaries but instead overlaps into some of the other technical conferences. There have been talks about the differences between 386DX and 386SX processors, off-line readers, message routing, communication programs, and many more. Basically, it is a conference where a user can come in and ask questions regarding computers, BBSing, off-line readers, mail doors, etc. I am proud to serve RIME as a Conference Host, and I also want to thank all the experienced users in the New Users conference for helping out with all the questions that have appeared in that conference. So, if you like the sound of the New Users conference, why not drop in and say hello some time. The NETNODE conference number for it is 84. If you want to know where I usually hang out, simply look into the RIME Directory and it will list all the conferences I follow. In addition, I am the co-Sysop of the Aardvark BBS at (212) 496-8324 (node ID ->AARDVARK) and also pick up my RelayNet (tm) mail from it. +---------------------------------+ | POETRY CORNER | | | +---------------------------------+ By Inez Harrison, Node id ->DORSAI THIS MASK I WEAR Sometimes behind this smile, there are rivers of tears. I even laugh to keep from crying. Every now and then a sad look will slip its way in and you'll ask what's wrong, I'll smile and say nothing, Page 4 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- so, don't be fooled by this mask I wear. In a crowd, sometimes I'm so alone; Talking not thinking on the telephone. I look at T.V. through tear filled eyes; I smile through most painful goodbyes, so, don't be fooled by this mask I wear. I try to help others through thick and thin; To helping others there is no end. I laugh and joke when the chips are down; But behind this smile (sometimes) there lies a frown, so, don't be fooled by this mask I wear. My relationship with my lover came to an end; To keep face, I smiled and lifted my chin. I walked in the rain to cover my tears; I sat in the sunlight to hide my fears. so, for Gods sake, Don't be fooled by this Mask I Wear. ----- GOOD FEELINGS! Good feelings talking to me, from last night, the night before, and the night before. I think of the kiss, the touch, the kiss, the touch. Good feelings embedded in my brain, from the cry, the shout, the holler, the scream. I think of untold pleasure, feeling untold thoughts. Good feelings Page 5 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- sneaking in my dreams, creeping down the sheets, crawling on my flesh. I think of my hands, your hands, my hands, your hands. Good feelings, sapping my strength, draining my thoughts, maddening pleasure. I think of ecstasy, tranquility, serenity. Good feelings creeping down my back, up my ankles, around my waist. I think of the feelings. YEAH! Good Feelings..... +---------------------------------+ | CONFERENCE NEWS | | | +---------------------------------+ by Bonnie Anthony, Node id ->RUNNINGA IMPORTANT - the CONFER.ZIP file has been renamed to RIMECONF.ZIP. We feel that this name better describes the contents of this file. From now on request RIMECONF.ZIP for new conference information. I have also set up a small task force to go over this file and convert it into a more useful format for us. This is my last conference announcement before the expected return of Skip Ross to his usual position as conference coordinator. Thank you for your helpfulness and understanding during this brief tenure of mine. And now for the new conferences: Page 6 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- NUMBER 229 NAME: The Liberator DESCRIPTION: Support and discussion of the Liberator 2.3x automated QMail/MarkMail packet manager, which automates gathering and sending of packets, files, etc. Liberator is a Telix SALT script. HOST: Wayne Duff (Node Id ->TELIX) ACTIVITY: New NUMBER 230 NAME: QMM DESCRIPTION Support and discussion of the QMM line of products, including QMM 3.03 and QMMSys 1.01, as well as future products still in beta. QMMSys is an automated file and .QWK or ZIPM packet gatherer and sender in Telix's SALT scripting language. HOST: Jack Mlynek (Node Id ->TELIX) ACTIVITY: New NUMBER: 231 NAME: Old Cars DESCRIPTION: For people interested in old cars, Milestone, Special Interest, Custom Classic, or Antique. For the discussion of and exchange of information on; parts availability and location, tips on restoration techniques and problems, discussion of various car club events and auctions. General discussion of the vintage car hobby. HOST: Ken Pangborn (Node ID ->FATHER) ACTIVITY: New NUMBER: 232 NAME: Home Schooling DESCRIPTION: This forum is for the discussion of home schooling, and the exchange of information (sources for materials, books etc). Homeschooling is a basic exercise in good old American freedom. It is a *growing* movement today. HOST: Steve Winter (Node Id ->RAPTURE) ACTIVITY: New NUMBER: 233 NAME: Bible Studies DESCRIPTION: This forum is for exploring the Bible. There will be, of course, much varied religious discussion based on the Bible. Everyone is welcome to explore the Bible here whether they happen to believe it or not. HOST: Steve Winter (Node Id ->RAPTURE) ACTIVITY: New NUMBER: 234 NAME: BBS Caller's Digest DESCRIPTION: Conference to allow easy access to information, questions, general support for on-line or print subscriptions. If Page 7 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- interested to send articles, comments, stories, you can do so via this echoed conference. HOST: Richard Paquette (Node Id ->LIVEWIRE) ACTIVITY: New NAME: Homeopathy NUMBER: 235 DESCRIPTION: Sharing of ideas, advice, news, anecdotes, and discussions, centering around the use and philosophy of Homeopathic medicine. Homeopathic physicians, pharmacists, health professionals, and lay practioneers are welcome and encouraged to participate. Messages advertising services, products, and seminars are welcome from those who participate in the conference, with the caveat that advertisements are not repeated more than once per week. Bulletins of interest will be posted periodically by the host. HOST: Leon Mysch Node ID ->DORSAI ACTIVITY: New NAME: Jeopardy NUMBER: 236 DESCRIPTION: Answers and Questions regarding the Quiz Show. Trivia, history of the show, technical and production questions will be discussed. HOST: Rick Edwards Node ID ->GZERO ACTIVITY: New NAME: Novell Users NUMBER: 237 DESCRIPTION: This conference is for Novell Network Administrators and Users ranging from Novice thru Senior levels. General categories include NetWare operating system versions, hardware compatibility in a NetWare environment, and software/management concerns. This conference complements the existing NETWORKS conference, which addresses general LAN types of networks. HOST: John Ginnane Node Id ->REDPHONE ACTIVITY: New NAME: Novell Development NUMBER: 238 DESCRIPTION: This conference will discuss methods, tools, and procedures for Developers of Novell-compatible software and hardware. We would like to serve as a coordinating nexus for efforts in this area, and for beta testers of products about to go in commercial release. HOST: Jimmy Wu Node Id ->REDPHONE ACTIVITY: NEW Page 8 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- +---------------------------------+ | RIME FAMILY TREES | | | +---------------------------------+ The Super Regional HUB that I belong to has it's own very active regional conference. Lana Fox, the HUB operator (Don Cheeks too!), came up with a graphic representation of all the HUBs and Nodes that relay with her. We thought it would be fun to publish this graphic "tree" of our "family" and encourage other Super Regionals to do the same. Brian Miller of HUBCHAN has also submitted his family tree. The Super Regional HUNZN Family Tree: HUBZN--+ Lana | Fox |- BLKRVR Clyde Messinger(Croswell, MI) |- CONFORUM Bill Raines (Middletown, OH) |- DANGRZN Dave Calmer (Rock Island, IL) |- DUES Bob Romney (Helena, MT) |- HOPTOWN Ron Simonton (Hopkinsville, KY) | |- HUBDAYTN--+ |Tim Meade |- CONEX Tim Meade (West Carrollton, OH) | +- MYTHKING Mark May (Huber Heights, OH) | |- HUBELK----+ |Derry Nelson|- ACES Randy Wilson (Elkhart, IN) | |- BETACON David Reynolds (Elkhart, IN) | |- DUNE Ralph Shaffer (Portage, IN) | |- ELEVEN Derry Nelson (Elkhart, IN) | +- TOOLKIT Ken Prevo (Lowell, IN) | |- HUBEP ----+ |Randy |- ABACUS Roger Avers (Chapparal, NM) |Blackmond |- BASEMENT Randy Blackmond(El Paso, TX) | |- CANTINA John Dodson (El Paso, TX) | |- PANTHER Larry Bratcher (Ft. Smith, AR) | +- SANCTUM John Lewis (El Paso, TX) | |- HUBONT----+ |Armand |- CAMBMIC Armand Michaud (Cambridge, Ontario) |Michaud |- CPRINT Glenn Jarvis (Richmond Hill, Ontario) | +- DADELUS David Logan (London, Ontario) | |- HUBNORCA--+ |Bob Krack |- CALSTAR Bob Krack (Redding, CA) | |- PORTSHOP Wayne Gilbert (Redding, CA) | +- EDISON Randy Noseworthy(Redding, CA) | Page 9 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- |- IDEALS Peter Longo (Worcester, MA) |- MEDICCOM Churton Budd (Toledo, OH) |- MODEMZNE Don Cheeks (Middletown, OH) |- OUTRIDER Tom Hansen (Broken Bow, NE) |- RAZOR Bill Stewart (Springdale, AR) |- WOODCREK Jerry Claxton (Carpentersville, IL) +- WEBECAD Don Habegger (Evansville, IN) The Super Regional HUNCHAN Family Tree: HUBCHAN -----+ Brian | Miller |- FUTURE Bud Napier Boston, MA |- CYBER Phil Yanov Greenville, SC |- SFTWARE Jim Allen Beverly, MA |- GATECOM Ed & Nancie Costa Windham, NH |- CHANNEL Tess & Brian Cambridge MA |- XEVIOUS Nels Anderson Framingham, MA |- PRIZM Gunnar Rieger Bridgewater, MA |- JESSE Jesse Cheng Brookline, MA |- LALALAND Jonathan Wray Worcester, MA |- GARDEN Karl Johnson Scituate, MA |- DIGICOM Marco Bitran Brookline, MA |- EFFIGY John Francis Dorchester, MA |- GAS Jon Anderson S. Natick, MA |- HOTTIPS Michael Callaghan Glendale, CA |- SOFTC Dan Linton Clinton, MA |- NITELOG Karl Van Lear Monterey, CA +- HUBSOFT-SOFTEXCH- Don Eklund Webster, MA +---------------------------------+ | 'C' TUTOR | | | +---------------------------------+ by Doug Maclean, Node id ->RUNNINGB Have you ever wanted to create a prompt from a program or a batch file that would wait a certain amount of time and then provide a default? Here is a little routine that will permit you to program just that. It is called timeout. The prototype is as follows: int timeout(char *prompt, char ch, int time, int silence, int reverse,int to); Here, 'prompt' is the character string that will be displayed. 'ch' is the trigger character that the routine waits for. 'time' is the number of seconds to wait. 'silence' is a flag that controls if you see a countdown. 'reverse' is a flag that reverses the action, instead of waiting for the trigger character. Any character but the trigger will return 1 to a flag that returns a 2 if the routine times out. Page 10 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Normally, if the trigger character is hit the routine returns a 1. Any other key will return a 0. #include timeout(prompt,ch,time,silent,reverse,to) char *prompt; char ch; int time,silent,reverse,to; { int len=0; char buf[20],c; long endtim; long count; union REGS r; if(ch == '@') ch = 0; r.x.ax=0; int86(0x1a, &r, &r); endtim = r.x.cx*0x10000+r.x.dx+time*18+time/5; printf("%s%c",prompt,silent ? '\0':'\n'); do { r.h.ah=0xb; int86(0x21, &r, &r); if (r.h.al != 0) { if (!silent) printf("\r%10s\r", " "); if ((c=getch()) == 0) getch(); if(silent) printf("\n"); return((((ch == 0 || c == ch) && !reverse) || (reverse && (ch != 0) && (c != ch))) ? 1 : 0); } r.x.ax=0; int86(0x1a, &r, &r); count=endtim-r.x.cx*0x10000-r.x.dx; count=(count*11)/2; if(!silent) sprintf(buf, "%ld.%02ld", count/100, count%100); if (len > strlen(buf)) { strcat(buf, " "); len--; } else len=strlen(buf); if(!silent) printf("\r%s", buf); Page 11 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- } while (count > 0); if(!silent) printf("\r%10s\r", " "); if(silent) printf("\n"); return(to ? 2 : ((reverse) && (count <= 0)) ? 1 : 0); } Now for some big news! I am pleased to announce my seventh conference, (drum roll, please): IDC. Chip Rabinowitz is co-hosting this conference that will provide support for all of Interactive Data Concepts products including the new CXL. As most of you know, CXL is one of the best and most popular 'C' libraries around. Chip has improved this fantastic library with greater speed and a host of new and improved functions. Regards, Doug +---------------------------------+ | BEGINNERS CORNER | | | +---------------------------------+ by Jim Daly, Node id ->TREASURE A COMMUNICATIONS PRIMER OK! Last month we talked about PARALLEL Communications. Remember those 3 people waiting to get into "It's a Small World" at Disney? -------------------------------------------- PARALLEL = | < IT'S A SMALL WORLD EXHIBIT > | | | | | | |1| |2| |3| |4| |5| |6| |7| |8| | ---| |--| |--| |--| |--| |--| |--| |--| |--- ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ | | | | | | | | --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- (M)ike = 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 =M (A)lice = 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 =A (N)ick = 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 =N Got the Parallel picture? We know that when the 8 bits enter the exhibit at the same time the lines are Parallel. However, if there is only 1 Gate available then the 8 bits must Enter one at a time. Like this: Page 12 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------- SERIAL = | < IT'S A SMALL WORLD EXHIBIT > | | | | | | |1| |2| |3| |4| |5| |6| |7| |8| | ---|X|--|X|--|X|--| |--|X|--|X|--|X|--|X|--- ============= ^ ================== SORRY! | SORRY! CLOSED for REPAIR | CLOSED for REPAIR | ----- (M) | 0 | i | 1 | k | 0 | e | 0 | | 1 | | 1 | | 0 | | 1 | ----- Waiting their turn: ^ ------------------- |--(A)lice = | 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 | <-| ------------------- | ------------------- | ------------------- | (N)ick = | 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 |---^ ------------------- As you can see, (M)ike and his 8 Data bits enter the Gate 1 bit at a time while (A)lice and (N)ick wait in a single-file line for their turn to move ahead. When SERIAL transmission is used between computers, all of the Data must travel in a single line from one computer to the other. Since the data stream is sent 1 bit at a time, only one wire is required. Obviously the disadvantage of Serial transmission is that it is much slower than Parallel transmission because only 1 bit is sent at a time as compared to the 8 bit data stream in Parallel. The advantage of Serial transmission is the cost of wiring. Since only 1 wire is needed, the wiring cost is only 1/8 that of Parallel! This adds up fast when a communications link goes from one city to another, or even from one building to another in the same city! Of course the real advantage in terms of the BBS world is the ability to transmit across standard telephone lines. This would be impossible to send Parallel transmissions because standard telephone lines do not have 8 conductors. Now that we understand the difference between SERIAL and PARALLEL Data transmission and why the BBS world uses SERIAL, next month, we will explore Page 13 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- the concepts of just how the Data is handled at each end of the communications session. See you next month! +---------------------------------+ | LIGHT VS. DARK | | | +---------------------------------+ Submitted by Don Cheeks, Node id ->MODEMZNE Results of a New study on Light vs. Dark For years it has been believed that electric bulbs emitted a substance or energy called light. Recent information, however, has proven otherwise. Electric bulbs don't emit light - they suck dark. Thus we call these bulbs dark suckers. Dark Sucker Theory presents a number of basic theorems concerning the properties of dark. For example: 1. The speed of dark is greater than that of light. 2. Dark has greater mass than light. The basis of Dark Sucker Theory is that electric bulbs suck dark. Take for example, the dark suckers in the room where you are. There is less dark right next to them than there is elsewhere. The larger the dark sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. As with all things, dark suckers don't last forever. Once they are full of dark, they can no longer suck. This is proven by the black spot on a full dark sucker. A candle is a primitive dark sucker. A new candle has a white wick. You will notice that after the first use, the wick turns black, representing the dark which has been sucked into it. Unfortunately, these dark suckers have a limited range. There are also portable dark suckers. The bulbs in these units can't handle all of the dark by themselves, and must be aided by a dark storage unit. When the dark storage unit is full, it must be either emptied or replaced before the portable dark sucker can operate again. Dark has mass. When dark goes into a dark sucker, friction from this mass passing through another mass will generate a certain amount of heat. It is commonly known that an operating dark sucker generates heat. The dark suckers with the greater capacities force the dark to travel through the impeding media at greater rates of speed, so they develop greater amounts of heat. Thus, it is not wise to touch an operating dark sucker. Now to offer proofs of the theories stated above. First, that dark is faster than light. If you were to stand in an illuminated room in front of a closed dark closet then slowly open the Page 14 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- closed door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet: but since the dark is so fast you are not able to see the dark leave the closet. Secondly, that dark has more mass than light. If you swim just below the surface of a lake, you will see a lot of light. As you swim deeper and deeper, you notice it gets slowly darker and darker. This is because the dark sinks to the bottom of the lake and the light rises to the top. (Credits. Extracted from the Journal of the Tucson Computer Society, July 1990. The original source is the newsletter of the AMES Sundusters Club, Ames, Iowa.) +---------------------------------+ | THE LEGAL CORNER | | | +---------------------------------+ by James J. Spinelli, Node id ->VMC LEGAL ASPECTS OF TELECOMMUNICATIONS AND THE BBS, Part 2 Last time, we briefly discussed the idea of a sysop as an information resource manager. In this month's discussion, let's take a brief tour of those resources which the sysop is managing. Our first recourse is software. For legal purposes, software is defined as the collection of materials that contains, expresses, and explains a computer program. This definition includes a program in machine-readable form contained on magnetic media, the printouts containing the source and object code, the programmer's notes and working papers, and the user manual. The rather unique nature of software has been a constant source of problems for the courts, who can't seem to decide consistently whether software is tangible or intangible, or something in between. If it is tangible, it is also covered by the Uniform Commercial Code, otherwise, it is not. To date, the courts have defined software as tangible for some purposes, and intangible for others, with different courts sometimes adopting conflicting positions. Another source of confusion is whether software is considered an artistic expression, something like a book, or a product of an engineering process. The courts continue to have trouble deciding how to regard the process of software development. The result has been much debate and confusion over copyright and patent protection of software. In spite of these issues, computer software is still regarded by law as property that can be owned and transferred, like any product. Software is categorized as intellectual property since it is a result more of mental effort rather than a manufacturing process. However, additional confusion will no doubt ensue as the field of computer-assisted software engineering proliferates. It is important for sysops to understand the nature of Page 15 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- software and to understand the various methods available to protect this resource. It is important because, in many instances, the sysop is the guardian and provider of software stored on the BBS. In addition, many sysops are themselves software authors. The owner of software has the exclusive right to control and use the software he or she has produced. Any infringement of this right can be stopped through legal means. However, a software author will not make any money from his software unless he gives up some control. You give up some or all control in one of two ways: 1. By the assignment of rights 2. By license On the one hand, it may be rather easy to determine who owns a particular piece of software. Let's say that you are unemployed or self-employed, and you develop a program entirely by yourself in your own home. Here, it is clear who is the owner. However, if your buddy is helping you with the programming, it is no longer so clear that you are the sole owner. There is an interesting sideline in the BBS arena. Many software authors use a select group of systems to test and validate software. Some of these test sites respond by providing alternatives for program operation and ideas for additional features. Such enhancements and ideas may only serve to confuse the ownership issue, particularly if they are in writing and are well- documented, and are included in the finished product. Simple acknowledgements may not suffice for attributing possible or potential ownership rights. The key is that the particular method of expression is what is potentially copyrightable, not the ideas themselves. So, if a test site actually writes changes, such may be considered the expression of the ideas. In order to prevent potential problems, all agreements and understandings need to be defined, agreed to, documented and in writing BEFORE a project commences. The assignment of rights and licenses come into play here. Let's look at each method. The assignment of rights, transfers all rights in the software to someone else. This can be done by selling the software outright for a price, or through a royalty arrangement. License for use, on the other hand, does not involve the transfer of ownership rights, but only the rights necessary for a more limited purpose, such as the use of the software. In this manner, the actual owner maintains all of the rights not specifically granted or transferred by the actual license agreement. Ownership of software carries with it the right to protect against infringement of rights. It may be suggested that this is an obligation rather than a right per se. However, in the legal sense, it is a right because no one else is permitted to intervene and do it for you. There are four methods available to protect software ownership. These are: Page 16 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1. Trade Secrets 2. Copyrights 3. Trademarks 4. Patents Let's spend a few moments to examine each of these methods. (NOTE: This is not a treatise on each method, but merely a very brief, fundamental presentation of each.) TRADE SECRETS: this area of the law protects the information, devices, and processes that give you a competitive advantage over those who do not know what you know about something. For software, it is typically applied during the development and testing stages. However, to be considered a trade secret, the software must contain some unique aspect -- that is, some method or methods that are considered unique to the functioning of the program. Some of the things that are subject to trade secrets include: customer lists, testing results, and even the names of the programmers. The second method is the copyright. Whereas trade secrets protect commercial ideas, regardless of the method of expression, copyrights protect only the actual expression of ideas and not the ideas themselves. Before software can be copyrighted, it must meet three basic requirements: 1. It must be expressed in a tangible form 2. It must be an original work by the author 3. It must not be part of the public domain There are two ways in which software can fall into the public domain: 1. Intentionally 2. Through Negligence "Intentionally" is rather obvious. However, "negligence" includes such things as (a) publishing without a valid copyright notice, and (b) failing to correct the error within five years of original publication. Copyrights last for the life of the author plus 50 years. However, if the work is classified as "made for hire," the copyright lasts for 75 years from the date of first publication. If you can prove that someone has infringed upon your copyright, you can take them to court only if the copyright is registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. Our third method is the trademark. A trademark is a word or symbol that is used to set your product apart from the products of others. However, not every word or phrase or symbol can qualify. Words, symbols, phrases that are determined to be "of general use" that describe the nature of the product generally will not qualify. For example, recent concern of the possibility of applying a trademark to the term "shareware," may, indeed, be contested as it may be shown to be a term of general use that is applied to describe the nature of a product. Page 17 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Another important aspect pertaining to trademarks is that software trademarks cannot be too generic or too universally descriptive either. In the recent SEA/PKWare lawsuit, SEA's position seemed to be that the term "ARC" was interpreted to be not a term of general use, but that which was applied in defining a particular product. Of course, since the case was settled out of court, PKWare may have acknowledged that possibility, and, as such, SEA owns the phrase as used in the software archiving process. To establish a trademark, you have to select a name, but also make sure that the name is not being used by someone else. Duplication of names is permitted in certain instances, provided, for example, that confusion does not result, and the products are in completely different industries. As a sidebar, there's the law of unfair competition. Such laws are defined not on the federal level, but on the state level. This law protects honest businesses from unscrupulous competitors, and also protects the general public from deception. At times this law may be applied in situations where you cannot apply the laws of trade secrets, copyrights, trademarks, and patents. Our last method of software protection is the patent. Of all the various protection schemes, patent law provides the best protection. If you hold a patent for an invention, it is applicable for 17 years. Within this period, no one can duplicate your invention. Unlike other protection schemes, patent law protects against what is called "independent development of an invention." What this means is that regardless of whether someone else knew about your idea or not, if you have a patent, your invention cannot be duplicated, period. But, here's the kicker: to date, most computer programs are ineligible for a patent. The Patent Office's position is that you cannot patent something that is based on the laws of nature or upon mental processes. According to the Patent Office, computer programs are or contain algorithms -- mathematical formulas -- which are mental processes, and, therefore, are not patentable. However, exceptions do creep in. The Supreme Court, in the Diamond v. Diehr case in 1981, stated that programs may be patentable when they are an inseparable part of the process or device that is patentable. There is another side to this coin, too. Programs on ROM chips may be patented since the program may be said to be part of the hardware. However, such logic may be suspect because a program on ROM may be replaced by a program on disk that is read into RAM. Usually, this latter approach may not be patented. Further, you cannot patent something unless it is considered "novel" or at least "not obvious." Programs that automate office functions previously performed manually, for example, generally do not qualify because they are not novel enough, or tend to be rather obvious. This concludes Part 2. In Part 3 of our series next month, we'll explore the various legal aspects that involve the use of the BBS to market and distribute the software resource. Page 18 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Part 3 begins the first serious attempt to define and apply the sysop's potential legal responsibilities and accountabilities regarding BBS operation itself. +---------------------------------+ | INDUSTRY NEWS | | | +---------------------------------+ by C.E. Langenburg, Node id ->ROF Front cover of Info World, PC Week, LAN Magazine, & USA Today Novell-DRI Marriage Spells Doom For Microsoft Stock PC industry analysts throughout North America were caught off guard today when news surfaced of a strategic marketing alliance between Novell & Digital Research. Redmond, Washington based Microsoft, is a competitor to both companies. Their stock has been plummeting ever since the announcement. Provo, Utah based Novell markets Netware, a Local Area Network (LAN) operating system which connects many PC's together. Most surveys estimate that they have a 70% share of the PC LAN market. Digital Research, of Monterey, California was dwarfed by Microsoft in the early 1980's. At that time their CP/M 86 operating system was passed up by buyers in favor of Microsoft MS DOS. However, DR has just released a DOS of their own which is far superior -- sending Microsoft back to the drawing board. Under the terms of the Novell-DR agreement, each workstation attached to a Netware LAN is entitled to run DR DOS free of charge. To sweeten the pot they've thrown in GEM, Digital Research's graphical user interface (GUI) -- and competitor to Microsoft bread & butter Windows. Additional licenses for DR DOS & GEM are available for PC's which are not attached to LAN's for a list price of $49.95. Egghead Discount Software Stores already has them in stock & is discounting them at $39.95. The killer blow is that the prices on Netware have actually been reduced by 20%. And all this at a time when Microsoft was just gearing up to push their own LAN operating system. The DR DOS/GEM LAN package began shipping immediately upon announcement of the agreement. All purchasers of Netware since July 1, 1990 are entitled to the DR DOS/GEM package at no charge. Customers who purchased Netware before that can receive the package by purchasing Novell's Netware Assurance updates. Patricia Schnaidt, Editor of LAN Magazine said, "Novell has really geared up for this one. We're had reports from our readers that they're receiving Page 19 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- their updates the day after they order them. Not only that, but Novell has increased their advertising budget. This is really healthy for the financial position of our magazine." Bill Gates, Microsoft CEO was quoted as saying, "First those Californians invade the NorthWest and buy up all of our cheap housing. Then they want our water. They can insult us all they want with those God awful pink sun glasses. But I'll be damned if they're going to take our operating system market away." Gary Kildahl, Digital Research's CEO replied by saying, "We feel that the operating system technology is once again where it belongs. In the land of High Technology & The Beach Boys. My old buddy Bill brought his own problems on. Our programs free RAM (memory) up while his squanders it. We'll make them hurt so bad that they'll beg to sell us their water." C.E. Langenberg is a Seattle based end user of PC & minicomputer products and a part time white water river rafter. He was last seen picking up a Logitech serial mouse off of the floor behind his computer in preparation for use with GEM. C.E. said, "I've never had a problem making any program work with Netware or DR DOS. But Microsoft obviously feels threatened by both of these products. They intentionally made Windows & the DOS 4 Shell wrestle with both Netware & DR DOS. As we used to say out on the farm -- the chickens always come home to roost. Anyway, those Californians better not screw with the water of any river that I raft on." John Ginnanne, East Coast personal computer expert, known for his good humor, was not available for comment. He was last seen in the midst of a flock of sheep. They were believed headed for a local software store to buy Windows 3.0. A bystander distinctly heard them saying, "Mee'e'e'e tooo'o'o'o". Novell's Ray Noorda was unavailable for comment. His secretary told us that he was busy talking to his stock broker. Stay tuned for more details. (Editors note: Any resemblance to real life is completely coincidental.) +---------------------------------+ | PUZZLE RESULTS! | | | +---------------------------------+ by John Dodson, Node id ->CANTINA I just knew it was going to be another *fabulous* RIME Times contest! Not only are we publishing the winner's name as originally promised, but due to popular demand we are naming *all* those that submitted an entry - all five! Page 20 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- I thought sending contest entries racing through the network might mix things up a bit and I was not disappointed. Submitting a winning entry took a combination of luck and skill! All five contestants answered all word puzzles correctly. So, the only criteria for choosing a winner became the date and time stamp on the message. At the risk of telling you more than you want to know, here are the winners: First place with a date of 09-13-90 and a time of 17:30 goes to Bruce Francis. Bruce receives a life time electronic subscription to the RIME Times AND the honorary title of "Grand RIME Puzzle Pooh Bah" for the remainder of the year! I am sure Bruce is very excited about this! Persistence and strategy paid off for Bruce. He made is post from node - >RUNNINGA, which just happens to be the closest node to NETHUB (through which ALL mail is routed). He also sent the original post "return receipt" which is what really saved him. I had not acknowledged his first post because I did not receive it! Bruce was persistent enough to follow-up and reproduced the original post AND the return receipt! Now some may say Aha!.... the contest was rigged! But considering the node the post was made from and being an astute reader of the ADMIN conference, I have decided NOT to accuse a "mother of five" of mail tampering! Second place goes to Robert Vostreys with a date of 09-17-90 and a time of 00:20. Now Robert is a programming whiz (he wrote RNet, a BBS networking program among others) and has been collecting these kinds of puzzles for years. He threatened to give me some more! The puzzle took him 10 minutes to complete (claims T. and U. slowed him down). I don't know how you feel about this, but this irks me no end! I never completed the puzzle! I bet Roger is one of these guys that can add numbers in his head! Third place goes to Dan Deady with a date of 09-17-90 and a time of 13:38 (darn close!). Now Dan states he actually completed the puzzle on 09-11-90 at 15:34. Dan's entry was obviously "equalized" by the network as it floated around for 6 days! Dan offered up a few of his own: S. of the B., D. M. W. D. D. the W. is D. F. the Y. B. R. 100 B. of B. on the W. F. S., I. D. G. A. D. 16 M., O. A. D. M. C. (Y. H. H. A. A. B. O. R.) Of course I cannot get these either! Maybe Roger has a few spare SECONDS! Oh well, may the force by with you next time Dan. Fourth place goes to Mike Keelon with a date of 09-20-90 and a time of 16:40. Mike just thought it was a very enjoyable puzzle! Fifth place goes to Gerry Stoloff with a date of 10-04-90 and a time of 09:48. Gary thought it was a "very good puzzle although it's been publicized". Now he tells me! Gerry threw in a few comments so we'll use his post for the answers: Page 21 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- a. 26 = L. of the A. Letters of the Alphabet b. 7 = W. of the A. W. Wonders of the Ancient World c. 1001 = A. N. Arabian Nights d. 12 = S. of the Z. Signs of the Zodiac e. 54 = C. in a D. (with the J.) Cards in a Deck with the Jokers f. 9 = P. in the S. S. Planets in the Solar System g. 88 = P. K. Piano Keys h. 13 = S. on the A. F. Stripes on the American Flag (Tough for our international friends) i. 32 = D. F. at which W. F. Degrees Fahrenheit at which Water Freezes j. 18 = H. on a G. C. Holes on a Golf Course k. 90 = D. in a R. A. Degrees in a Right Angle l. 200 = D. for a P. G. in M. $ for Passing Go in Monopoly m. 8 = S. on a S. S. Sides on a Stop Sign n. 3 = B. M. (S. H. T. R.) Blind Mice (See How They Run) (My wife, a rehab counselor, prefers to use "Visually Impaired") o. 4 = Q. in a G. Quarts in a Gallon p. 24 = H. in a D. Hours in a Day q. 1 = W. on a U. Wheel on a Unicycle r. 5 = D. in a Z. C. Digits in a ZIP Code (We won't discuss ZIP + 4) s. 57 = H. V. Heinz Varieties (Registered trademark of H.J. Heinz Co.) t. 11 = P. on a F. T. Players on a Football Team u. 1000 = W. that a P. is W. Words that a Picture is Worth v. 29 = D. in F. in a L. Y. Days in February in Leap Year w. 64 = S. on a C. B. Squares on a Chess/Checker Board x. 40 = D. and N. of the G. F. Days & Nights of the Great Flood +---------------------------------+ | NOTES FROM ADMIN | | | +---------------------------------+ by Bonnie Anthony, Node id ->RUNNINGA 586 Nodes strong! We have 44 different states represented on the network plus the District of Columbia. We have nodes in Puerto Rico, England, Scotland, Canada, Norway, Denmark, Portugal, Spain, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Holland, Guam and Liechtenstein as well. We expect Peru and Yugoslavia to join us shortly! (Editors note: Peru, Germany and Mexico are now a part of the network!) Page 22 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- +---------------------------------+ | AS SEEN ON THE BIT STREAM | | | +---------------------------------+ TAGLINE OF THE MONTH: "...DOS to DOS, disk to disk, file to file." (As seen on a tag by David Tay submitted by Anders Horntvedt) THE THREAD THAT LOST CONTROL: "Let's get grammatical" (The continuing saga of Poppycock!) MALFUNCTION OF THE MONTH: A sysop configuration error in which more than 100 "Adult" oriented messages were fed into the SYSOPS conference. Although there is concern that Debi E. is pregnant with father unknown.... after reading all 100 messages this came as no surprise. FAUX PAS OF THE MONTH: (Names have been omitted to protect the innocent.) To: DAVID TERRY Refer#: 3067 From: Read: YES Subj: Conf: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Do you know of any way to run ProDoor as a BBS? (without PCB at all.) I have heard that this can be done and it sounds great! (If it's true.) Thanks! +---------------------------------+ | NOTICES | | | +---------------------------------+ Current listing of Bulletin Board software participating in RelayNet: SpitFire GAP QuickBBS GT Power Remote Access MajorBBS PCBoard/ProDoor dBBS RBBS EIS Wildcat! To make life easier for the editor, the following submission guidelines are suggested: 1) To be included in the current month newsletter all articles must be submitted by the 5th of the month. Page 23 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- OCT RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1990 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2) For short articles, a routed private message in either the COMMON or the ADMIN conference is acceptable. Please address and route to: John Dodson, node ->CANTINA or Ed Lazarowitz, node id ->CAPCON. 3) For long or multiple articles, an ASCII file uploaded directly to my BBS La Cantina! (915)532-0332 HST is preferred. Or if you are a sysop, I will call your BBS to pick up articles. 4) Your name as used on RIME. 5) Your node id if you are a RIME sysop or your "home" board id if you are a RIME user. 6) Any special instructions. Thanks!