ܰ ܰ ߰ ۰۰ ߰ ۰۰ ߰ ߰ ߰ ߰ =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= JULY RELAYNET INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE EXCHANGE NEWSLETTER 1991 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Table of Contents --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Article# Subject Author 1 Editors Corner Michael Brunk Node ID ->CSPACE 2 Conference News Dan Deady Node ID ->PGHS 3 Blipverts Mike Gunderloy Node ID ->ALBANY 4 I Got 'Dem Upgrade Blues! #1 Derry Nelson Node ID ->ELEVEN 5 RIME Rocks in Dallas Keith Personett Node ID ->GUILD 6 RIME Rumors Michael Brunk Node ID ->CSPACE 7 Uplink'ers Gather in Memphis Mark Adams Node ID ->PARTY 8 Poetry Corner Randy Noseworthy Node ID ->EDISON 9 Review: GENBULL V1.32 Michael Brunk Node ID ->CSPACE 10 RelayNet BBS Highlight 11 Notices -------------------------------------------------------------------------- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 1 - EDITORS CORNER by Michael Brunk, Node ID ->CSPACE =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Welcome to July! By now the celebrations are over but I hope you all had a wonderful (and safe) 4th. We managed to scrape together enough submissions to go to press but it was close this month. We can only continue to be successful with the help of you, the reader! Your contributions in the form of stories and ideas are crucial to our ability to publish each month. Send those submissions in! By the way, I just took a count and 'RIME Times' is being automatically distributed to 199 bulletin boards each month via the network. I'm sure there are many more who recieve it indirectly. Not bad! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 2 - CONFERENCE NEWS by Dan Deady, Node ID ->PGHS =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Changes: 69 - MYSTERY is now hosted by Edwin Albetski ->NETEAST and Charlie Duncan ->AQUILA 241 - ANIME new node ID for Michael C.Ling ->RUNNINGB 256 - CANADIAN is now hosted by Mike Adamson ->WINDSOR during Harv Welch's absence Additions: NAME: NETMAIL OFFLINE NUMBER: 264 DESCRIPTION: This conference is dedicated to discussion surrounding the various formats used in BBS networking and offline mail reading. The purpose of the conference is to explore the basic operating techniques and features of existing networking/offline reader software and possibly working toward a "standard" that could incorporate the best of those features. Authors, Administrators, Sysops and Users are all encouraged to express their ideas here. Constructive criticism and/or suggestions are welcome. HOSTS: Jude Saucier Node ID ->PUMA Dennis McCunney Node ID ->RUNNINGB ACTIVITY: * NEW * Date: 07/03/91 NAME: CORELDRAW GRAPHICS NUMBER: 265 DESCRIPTION: Conference for Windows graphic drawing and art programs including Corel Draw, Micrographix Designer, Arts & Letters and Aldus for Windows. Exchange of ideas, needs, and comments regarding the use and operation of these programs. HOST: Joe Rotello Node ID ->PREMIER ACTIVITY: * NEW * Date: 07/03/91 NAME: WINDOWS BASIC NUMBER: 266 DESCRIPTION: This is a support conference for BASIC language related programming for WIndows. Includes Microsoft Visual BASIC and Within Technologies Realizer products. HOSTS: Joe Rotello Node ID ->PREMIER Jack Higgins Node ID ->DFWPGMR ACTIVITY: * NEW * Date: 07/03/91 SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM DAN DEADY: Effective Immediately: I hereby resign from the position of Conference Coordinator. This is an amicable separation. It is impossible for me to continue in this facility due to time constraints and other considerations. Please give Bonnie and Howard your cooperation and willingness to assist during this period of changeover and transition. Sincerely and with best wishes, Dan Deady, Ex-Conference Coordinator [Editors Note: Kathi Webster, Node ID ->GODFTHR has been named to take over as Conference Coordinator] =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 3 - BLIPVERTS by Mike Gunderloy, Node ID ->ALBANY =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= [Editor's Note: These reviews are reprinted from FACTSHEET FIVE] COMMAND POST V. 7.0S (Shareware CMDPOST.ZIP; registration $49.95 from Wilson WindowWare, 2701 California Ave. SW #212, Seattle, WA 98116): A menuing system/task manager for Windows that can do darned near anything you might need to do with or to a file. You can, for example, browse the contents of a file, or have a menu item that gathers file names into a picklist, or resize all the windows on screen, or look at the directory tree of any disk, or quickly launch an application. Command Post is essentially an integreated replacement for the built-in program manager, file manager, and task manager, and it works well. The nag screens are perhaps a bit more frequent than in some other programs, but they don't interfere with the functionality. Too bad MicroSoft couldn't build something this good in when they released Windows in the first place. (IBM)[ASP](MG) CRYSTAL BALL (Shareware CRYSTAL.ZIP; registration $19 from RK West Consulting, PO Box 8059, Mission Hills, CA 91346): Here's a cute program. It's designed to help the aspiring psychic make predictions of the sort that grace the tabloids towards the start of every year -- you know, "Idi Amin will wed a Nobel prizewinner after a major earthquake." It does this by putting together word lists (which can be edited by the user to lend a personalized flavor to the program) with sentence templates. Amusing, and it seems to do about as well as your average supermarket tabloid can. (IBM)[ASP](MG) DIZK4D v 2.60 (Shareware version DISK4D26.EXE; registration $25 from Unicorn Software, PO Box 911, Wabash, IN 46992-0911): This is the first disk cataloging program that I have seen which is designed to work with the popular 4DOS command processor replacement. It's operation is simple: run through the setup screen, put the disk in your drive, press RETURN, and go on to the next disk. When it's all done, you can get a complete list of all the files on your diskette, or just selected files. Along the way you can change or add file descriptions too. You can also search for a file even if you only remember part of its name or description. A handy utility that works quite painlessly, although the subdirectory handling is a bit clunky. (IBM)[ASP](MG) INFORMATION PLEASE v. 2.06 (Shareware IP206.ZIP; registration $53 from TexaSoft, PO Box 1169, Cedar Hill, TX 75104): This is a free-form text database system that can handle variable length records from a word up to a few hundred lines. The interface is reasonably clean even if some keys didn't work the way I expected them to (PgDn, for example). The program supports associating DOS commands with any entry, so that you can (for example) display a .PCX graphic (a CGA-resolution PCX viewer is included). Useful for anything that requires organizing text and being able to call it back by keywords. (IBM)[ASP](MG) MAKEDEMO v 3 (Shareware MDEM3A.EXE, MDEM3B.EXE, MDM3C.EXE; registration $39 from Windham Woods Publishing, PO Box 314, Windham, NC 03087): You can think of MakeDemo as a program which does for screens what a word processor does for words. That is, it lets you put together a bunch of screens of text or (character-mode) graphics, re-order them, insert new screens, and display them for a user. With an interface driven by keyboard or mouse, as well as animation, sound and color, this is perfect for putting together disk-based catalogs, books-on-line, and mockups of new software user interfaces. Includes several examples including its own complete on-line help system to get you started. (IBM)[ASP](MG) PAINT SHOP v. 2.01 (Shareware PS.ZIP; registration $33 from JASC, Inc., 17743 Evener Way, Eden Prairie, MN 55346): Well, this program is the best reason I've yet seen for running Microsoft Windows in a 256-color mode. This is a graphics viewer that handles a large variety of formats, including .BMP, .PCX, .GIF and .MAC files. You can convert from format to format, stretch or shrink the pictures, dither or manipulate the pallette, and more. You can also grab any image off the Windows screen and turn it into a graphics file, which can be handy as well. A very nice job. (IBM)[ASP](MG) PC-CAI (Shareware PCCAI.ZIP; registration $43 from TexaSoft, PO Box 1169, Cedar Hill, TX 75105): This is a Computer Aided Instruction program for the PC -- essentially a specialized command interpreter, It can move things around on the screen, put up colorful text and noisy sounds, and branch depending on user input. Comes with a powerful script editor and a utility for displaying .PCX graphics as part of your tutorial. (IBM)[ASP](MG) PC-DEAL v 2.45 (Shareware DEAL245.ZIP; registration $40 from Kindred Spirits, 1407 Finntown Rd., Waldoboro, ME 04572): A minor upgrade of this simple double entry accounting program. It's aimed at the individual or small business with some knowledge but not an especially complex financial life. Nice touches here include monthly budgeting, bar graphs, and the ability to go back twelve months to fix mistakes. (IBM)[ASP](MG) PC-GLOSSARY v 3.2 (Shareware GLOSRY32.EXE; Registration $29 from Disston Ridge, 4915 22nd Ave. N, St. Petersburg, FL 33710): A quarterly hypertext glossary of important PC terms, from ARC to ZIP and beyond, It gives clear explanations of everything from ISO/OSI to the VGA standard to why you should be careful using a 1.2 MB drive to write 360K diskettes. Also includes reference tables of ASCII Codes, file extensions, and more. For the beginner and moderately advanced user, as well as the power user who wants a handy source of info all in one place. (IBM)[ASP](MG) ROBOMAZE II (Shareware ROBOMAZ2.ZIP; Registration $15 from MVP Software, 1035 Dallas SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49507): This is another of those arcade games that are so fast and furious as to be impossible for anyone over the age of fifteen to win. This one has you in a futuristic shoot-'em-up setting, battling all sorts of crazy opponents left behind by a mad scientist in an office tower. The graphics and animation are superb, with renderings made to run on CGA, EGA and VGA. The key timing routines also provide fast response from the keyboard, and joystick support is built in. Lots of options here, and it's the first of a trilogy to boot. (IBM)[ASP](MG) RUBICON PUBLISHER v 2.2c (Shareware RUBIC22C.ZIP; registration $59.50-$119 from Rubicon Computer Labs, PO Box 336, Chelsea, Que., J0X 1N0, CANADA): This is a new release (and substantial upgrade) of the best shareware desktop publishing program around. Rubicon implements a traditional tagged-text scheme (as that used by TeX) rather than a pastepoard metaphor (as PageMaker or Ventura). You feed it straight ASCII files with special commands to tell it how to set up the page and the text, and it feeds finished documents out the other end. THe system is reasonably fast and produces fine-looking documents, distinguished from the pack by the use of Rubicon's own fonts (support for outside fonts is also available). This edition includes support for 200 printers (including PCL 4 and 5, PostScript, and 9- and 24-pin dot matrix printers), a VGA screen preview (a bit clunky, but it saves on paper during design), and a full-blown tutorial on disk. Registered users also get improved composition and hyphenation utilities,, support for .IMG graphics, and more soft fonts with better font utilities. (IBM)(MG) SYSTEMS MANAGER v 2.5 (Shareware SYSMGX.EXE; registration $10 from MiCord, PO Box 1344, Midland, MI 48640): This is an integrated menu shell and time tracking system, allowing the user to quickly select DOS applications and keep an eye on how much time is spent in each one, with the idea of streamlining client billing. It works, though it seems to have quite a few rough edges -- an install program which assumes you don't already have a program named "menu" on your path, for example, and somewhat slow swapping out of the way. Still, if you need the combination of menus and time-tracking, it's the only shareware I've seen to do the trick. (IBM)[ASP](MG) RICHARD WEBSTER'S AURA READING (Shareware WEBSTER.ZIP; registration $35 from RK West Consulting, PO Box 8059, Mission Hills, CA 91346): Another in the series of recreational programs from the fringes that Rosemary West has made available. This time the idea is to bring the knowledge of psychic Richard Webster to the computer. There are actually two programs here. The first does a quick numerological analysis, based on your name and date of birth. The second (the title program) helps show you what your aura should look like, again based on numerological principles. It does impressionistic CGA renderings, to help in sighting and investigating auras. (IBM)[ASP](MG) WINPOST v 3.0b (Shareware WINPOST.ZIP; registration $30 from Eastern Mountain Software, PO Box 20178, Columbus, OH 43220): This emulation of the classic Post-it (TM) notes for Windows has sprouted many features since I last looked at it. Notes can now be resized, kept in handy groups, change in colors, have alarms attached to them (and pop up only when the alarm goes off) and much more. Full mouse and printer support, and the notes themselves follow the Windows editing standards. An exceptionally handy utility. (IBM)[ASP](MG) UPDATES & UPGRADES COMPUSER v 2.60 (Shareware version CUSER260.EXE; subscription $30/3 issues per year from Unicorn Software Limited, PO Box 911, Wabash, IN 46992-0911): This is a significant upgrade to this directory of the shareware industry. As always the listings of BBS's, vendors, distributors, authors, newsletters, and more have been updated. This version also adds much nicer graphics than were present in 2.50, giving CompUser a little more sizzle to go with its already impressive steak. (IBM)[ASP](MG) NOTED BUT NOT REVIEWED Some software we get requires other software we don't have in order to do a decent review. In these cases we are forced to rely on the documentation. dPERFECT MERGE v 1.5 (Shareware DPERF15.EXE; registration $24 from NewDorf Research, PO Box 2309, Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92067): This is a utility designed to interface between two widely-used office programs: dBase (or Clipper, FoxPro, and other clones) and Word Perfect. It takes dBase III compatible files and turns them into Word Perfect 4.2, 5.0 or 5.1 merge files -- so for example you can take your database of addresses and plug them into form letters in one easy step. Includes both interactive and batch versions. (IBM)[ASP](MG) ENVELOPER v 3.2 (Shareware ENVR32.ZIP; registration $29 from Pinecliffe International, PO Drawer 2337, Col Creek Cyn., Golden, CO 80403): This is an envelope printer designed specifically to work with Word For Windows, making it one of the most flexible macros around. It can handle multiple return addresses, logos, postal bar codes, custom formats and of course it will grab addresses from the screen. (IBM)[ASP](MG) SHAREWARE NOTES Searchlight Software (PO Box 640, Stony Brook, NY 11790) has announced a special upgrade program for registered owners of Wildcat! BBS software. From now through August 31, they can get Searchlight BBS 2.15, offering all the major features of the as-yet unreleased Wildcat! 3.0, for only $50 with proof of purchase of their Wildcat! system. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 4 - I GOT 'DEM UPGRADE BLUES! by Derry Nelson, Node ID ->ELEVEN =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= [Editors Note: This is part 1 of 3 parts.] Well, it all started awhile back, a little birdie perched itself on my shoulder and whispered in my ear, "Hey, Dummy, I mean Derry, you know the Board is running pretty smooth, no problems, requires little maintenance now days. You know what you should oughtta do, don'tcha? Ya oughtta get in there and toy with things, ya know, buy a huge HardDisk, SCSI Controller and put everything all on one machine rather than having it spread across 3 or 4 machines.. By doing that I'm sure you'll create some havoc somewhere, I mean, you'll have a much better running system. Just think, you'll only have one server to mess with, one set of files to change when you add a Conference, etc.. I really think ya oughtta do it.. Then ya know what ya can do? Ya can go to Novell 2.2, yup, sweet Network, Novell just revamped their structure and it can be had for a song and two dances.. Course, doing this ya will want to go to a Dedicated Server but that shouldn't be any problem at all for a sharp cookie like you.. Then all you need to do is to buy another machine so you can retain your Private Node 3.. All of this is a piece of cake bud, ya can do it, I have faith in ya..". So went things, I took that little birdies advice.. There were certain things that the little birdie didn't fill me in on, like make sure you buy a SCSI Controller that WILL work with Novell 2.2 already so you don't have to either wait forever for one or repurchase another Controller that will work.. Nor did that little birdie fill me in that the undertaking going to a single Server from having 3 with files literally strewn all over the place would put more grey hairs on my head and also enlarge the thinning spot on the top of my head.. Well, after purchasing a 667 Meg SCSI Drive & WD7000 FASST Controller & accomplishing going to a single server, purchasing Novell 2.2, causing grief for my Users & Nodes alike by literally screwing up the Events to the max causing a major rewrite of them things were settling down to a dull roar.. I was holding off till vacation to go to Novell.. Then, after calling Columbia inquiring about a Disk Cache (had been using SuperPCK fine on the PerStore controlled 4096's) that would work with their controller telling them that I didn't want to spend a whole lotta $$ since I was going to Novell 2.2, the tech said, "Not with the 7000 you're not going to 2.2 right away."... WHAT??? To which the Tech replied, "You aren't going to use the 7000 with Novell 2.2 just yet as we're having some problems with our Drivers with 2.2, we're expecting to have some new ones out late June to early July. Try installing your SUPERPCK on Drive D and your Cache should work again." Ok, thanks, I wasn't planning on going 2.2 until the first part of July anyway. Along comes late June so I calls Columbia back up, no 2.2 Drivers yet.. So, I calls the Dealer I purchased 2.2 from and asked what controller WORKS with 2.2. "The Adaptec does," they say.. Ok, so it's out to purchase one of these critters, GREAT.. Well, as time goes I decide that it's time to pick up another machine so I can get the Board under as close to a Dedicated Server as one can get running LANtastic and who do you think pops back onto my shoulder??? Yup, you guessed it, that little birdie... This time he says, "Hey Dummy, I mean Derry, those changes weren't too bad now were they? I knew you'd be able to handle it, no problem. I see you're getting ready to pick up a new machine, ya know what ya oughtta do? Ya oughtta pick up one of them new 386-40's, that way you can have the 386-25 for your Node 3. Just order the bare machine with 4Meg (you should be able to use 4 of the 8Meg outta the 386-25 in the 386-40 to put you at the 8Meg, no problem for a man of your abilities) and a 3.5" floppy in the full tower case, you don't even need a keyboard, monitor, serial card or anything else." So, I listen to this birdie again and do just that. I still haven't figured out how to install 1M x 9 SIPPS where 1M x 9 SIMMS should go, maybe if I sawed off the legs on the SIPPS? So, it's back on the phone and order 4 more Meg of SIMMS. GREAT, they're here!! Oh NO! CMOS is going crazy, the gremlins are loose, the machine can't decide how much RAM it has from one boot to the next! Ah, a bad SIMM, no problem, I'll have a new replacement sent. The replacement arrives, GREAT!! But NO, same ole thing! In the midst of all this kaos I decide to install the new Adaptec Controller, should be a piece of cake, right, just have to reformat the drive and reload... WRONG, boils down to a defective 386-40 Mutha Board.. No problem, we've only been down for 3 days by now.. We'll just install Novell, 45 min into the install it pops back to me and says "you's missin' another Driver Son!". Where is that birdie? Ah, there it is, I'm gonna go play "she loves me, she loves me not" with its feathers... Come here little birdie, perch on my shoulder just one more time...... That's a good birdie GOTCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She loves me She loves me not She loves me She loves me not............ =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 5 - RIME ROCKS IN DALLAS by Keith Personett, Node ID ->GUILD =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= On April 20th, 1991, Reunion Arena in Dallas Texas was the scene of what proved to be what I would honestly have to say was the best Rock/Heavy Metal Concert I have ever had the pleasure of attending. Geoff Tate, and the rest of the boys from Queensrche were appearing live in concert, with Suicidal Tendencies opening up for them. The show began, and frankly, I was not expecting much from Suicidal Tendencies, although they proved to be an entertaining act. My personal opinion is that if their lead singer had stayed quiet the entire time, it would have been much better. ST has a hard driving sound, one that really hits you in the gut, and the guitar work was quite good. ST entertained the crowd for just under an hour, and then let the stagehands get ready for what was to come. As the stagehands were finishing up with their duties, the background music changed from your usual Hard Rock/Heavy Metal tunes, to what I believe was Ethel Myrman singing "On with the show". Upon the last note of this "classic", Queensrche exploded onto the stage in a fury of lasers, spotlights, and some of the hottest guitar licks to ever grace this sysop's ears. After several songs from their latest album, and a couple from their previous vinyl, they embarked on an adventure that no-one in the audience will soon forget. The audience was drawn out of their seats, and into the world of "Operation Mindcrime", a sort of "Heavy Metal Opera" that their previous album solely consisted of. Even for those who did not know the story, the two 30 foot screens behind the band were informative enough to allow one to follow the tragedy. For those of you not in the know as to what "Operation Mindcrime" is, it would take far to long to explain in this text, I recommend that you buy the album, and play it in order from beginning to end paying very close attention. Every song was done, just as the album was cut, not a single omission to break up the storyline. The band came back to play several old favorites, and then returned once again for an encore to play "Silent Lucidity" off of their "Empire" album. One thing that really grabbed me about this concert, is how precise everything was. Usually, one will go to an event like this, and sure, the energy level is high, and it is a great show, but 9 out of 10 times, the music suffers. Here is one case when in no way does the music suffer, in fact, of the people I talk to, most of us thought that it was actually tighter than any of their albums. Geoff Tate's eight octave vocal range was fantastic, every note was right on the money, and without sounding strained, even toward the end of the show. All in all, Queensrche was on stage for well over two hours, possibly closer to three, but the time went by so fast, it was impossible to tell. I left the concert in awe, wishing that I could see it all again the next night. Overall, I have seen perhaps 120 concerts in my day (I've got all them ticket stubs around here somewhere), including Pink Floyd, Mtley Cre, The Electric Light Orchestra, ZZ Top, and just about every Major Concert I could get tickets to since I was twelve years old. On April 20th, 1991, I believe I saw what I must say is probably the best concert I have ever seen or ever will see in my life. Yes, people, better than the old Pink Floyd! If Queensrche is coming to your city, or one nearby, I highly recommend that you go see the show ( I wish they were playing more than one show here in Dallas, they would have sold out the Arena twice!), it is truly a concert that you will never forget. Queensrche consists of: Geoff Tate : Voices, Keyboards, Babbles, and No Whistles Chris DeGarmo : Electric 6-String and 12-String Guitar, Acoustic 6-String and 12-String Guitar, Backup Vocals, and Keyboards Michael Wilton : Electric 6-String and 12-String Guitar, Acoustic 6-String and 12-String Guitar Eddie Jackson : Electric Bass, Electric Fretless Bass, and Backup Vocals Scott Rockenfield : Drums, All Percussion, assorted Knick-Knacks, Various Cack, and all other Sonic Booms =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 6 - RIME RUMORS by Michael Brunk, Node ID ->CSPACE =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= [Editors Note: We refuse to be held responsible for the following article. Any resemblence to actual news or factual information is entirely coincidental.] A minor panic ensued in Admin recently when Bonnie announced that Vice-President Dan Quayle was logging onto the Running Board to read mail using an alias. She immediately tried to retract the statement attributing it to 'an example' but RIME Time insiders aren't so sure. Is Big Brother watching? Howard's New York Hub was down for a while this month. Howard chalked it up to a disk error but rumors persist that it may have been deliberate sabotage on the part of his new wife. Info from the New York underground indicates that several 'contracts' have been taken out on his file server and that the Witness Relocation Program may be involved. Howard may need to spend less time reading mail! Sysops have been discussing long distance services lately. RIME Times passed the message threads on to our resident expert who concluded based on the evidence given that absolutely NONE of the services were working, that transcontinental data exchange was impossible and that RelayNet message traffic was the product of a mass hallucination. RIME Times is now looking for a new resident expert. Please send applications to Michael Brunk at Node ID ->CSPACE. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 7 - UPLINK'ERS GATHER IN MEMPHIS by Mark Adams, Node ID ->PARTY =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= It was a great Fourth of July weekend for the UPLINK UPchuck. Several old friends met face-to-face for the first time. Confused yet? It gets worse... Perhaps I should start by trying to describe the UPLINK conference. For those of you who don't know, it can be a strange and confusing place. We like to refer to it as "the asylum" or, more suitably, "home". It's like a big gathering of friends sitting a- round chatting about this, that or the other thing. There is no specific topic, anything goes (within reason). We've had threads dealing with everything from barnyard animals to favorite records, cartoon character names to local dialects, verbal caricatures to favorite vacations, from ... well, you get the picture. In short, we've gotten to know one another over time. We're there to support each other through hard times (even if we don't realize it) and to share in the good times. We pick on each other in humor. We lend assistance when needed, giving advice or making light of a situation that could otherwise get out of hand. We have fun! Several times over the past years a gathering of the masses has been suggested. The problem was always one of logistics; how do you co-ordinate the gathering of people from so many different states, when would it be, and where would it be? It was always rejected as being impossible to achieve. Recently, however, the impossible has happened. One of the UPLINKers (or inmates, as we call ourselves) planned on a business trip to Memphis. Another one added that he could make it here at the same time, just to get to meet some of the people he had been messaging with. When one more decided to join the first two, we saw that we had the makings of our gathering. Plans were made for BBQs, airline and motel reservations were made, arrangements were made for getting people to Memphis, either this included trips to the airport or maps sent out to those driving in. Reservations were made for some local events. Food and drink were purchased in large quantities. As it turned out, due to fairly short notice and prior familial obligations, we had four UPLINKers converge on Memphis from various locations. A fifth had to cancel at the last minute due to a family illness. Art Garvin (caller from the Score Board in Salt Lake City, Utah) drove in from his home in Bluffdale, Utah. Art left Utah early Tuesday morning and arrived late Wednesday night. Bob Litty (who calls the Modem Zone in Middletown, Ohio) flew in Wednesday evening. Steve Poggio (who regularly calls the Moondog BBS in NYC) had arrived earlier Wednesday afternoon at Memphis Airport where he was picked up by one of the Memphis UPLINKers. Bryan Mansfield (who connects to UPLINK through TandyLand in Charleston, S.C.) rode his motorcycle all through the day Wednesday to arrive just before dark, the last 25 miles through rain and thunderstorms. Memphis' Party Line BBS plays host to several participants in the UPLINK conference, which made Memphis a natural meeting place with many UPLINKers being local. The relatively central location was another deciding factor. Party Line's SysOp, Mike Glenn, offered the travellers "visitor's access" to the BBS during their stay. The group's weekend went as follows: Wednesday, the arriving folks (and a few of the locals) showed up at different times at the home of Susie Peterson and Mark Adams (your author). When I got back from picking up Bob Litty from the airport, everyone, with the exception of Art Garvin, was there. We all sat around for a few hours talking and getting to know one another. This was not difficult since some of us had been messaging for many months and felt like old friends already. The time passed quickly and the travelling caught up with many, so we said good night. Bryan was staying here with us and the others were staying at a nearby motel. Thursday, the Fourth of July, was the day of our BBQ here. I picked up the "out-of-towners" at the motel early in the afternoon. Before long the local people started showing up. We ended up with quite a full house. The local people all brought food or drink to share. Burgers, dogs, chicken and sausage were cooked out on the grill. Since it was so hot and humid, most everyone stayed inside and sat around talking. We had such a diversity of people from all walks of life and different parts of the country that there was no lack of conversation. A couple of the UPLINK regulars that couldn't make the trip called and the phone was passed around to all. Everyone had a good time. Friday there was an excursion to see the Catherine the Great exhibition which was in Memphis. Several of the visitors and locals went to see the art and jewelry of one of Russia's leading historical figures. Bryan and I stayed behind to watch the kids and get to know one another a little better. Friday evening Susie and I and the out-of-towners went on a dinner cruise aboard the Memphis Queen riverboat. It was a two hour tour up the Mississippi River complete with a catfish and barbecqued chicken dinner. After eating we enjoyed the sights and night air on the upper deck of the boat. Saturday afternoon most of the group went to see Mud Island, an island just off the Memphis coast in the Mississippi River. Access was provided by monorail. Featured attractions included a replica of the Mississippi River from source to mouth, museum, gift shops, etc. Saturday evening everyone piled into cars and headed north out of the city to the rural home of one of the local UPLINKers, Susan Forbess. We enjoyed another evening of food, friends and drink. Steve Poggio had ordered a large assortment of fireworks several months in advance. That night we watched a fireworks extravaganza courtesy of Steve and Bryan. The children present enjoyed the display almost as much as the adults. Homemade ice cream was churned up for dessert. Sunday, the day nobody was looking forward to, brought many sad partings. Art left early in the morning. Bob's flight was later that morning. I drove Bob to the airport and left with an empty spot in my heart. Steve and Bryan stayed the rest of the day, going out to lunch and dinner with some of the locals. Bryan left that evening on his motorcycle with clear weather ahead and part of himself behind. Steve left Monday afternoon with mixed emotions, glad to have been a part of the whole thing, but saddened by it's coming to an end. Some of the local users involved with the "UPLINK Upchuck" were: Susan Brooks (a kindergarten teacher here in Memphis {somehow rather appropriate}) who made the visitors feel welcome and drove them all over the city to various outings; Mike Glenn (the SysOp of Party Line, without whom some of us would never have met) and his wife Pam; Susan Forbess and her husband Joel who opened their home to virtual strangers and made them feel welcome; Eli Cariota and her husband Bill, Jim Jordan and his girlfriend Julia, John Okerson, Linda Hartsfield, Susie Peterson and myself. I think some budding friend- ships were bonded tightly that weekend. This little get-together has given us plenty of fuel for conver- sation for months to come. The ones who had to miss it feel like they were a part of it through vivid (and mostly "enhanced") descriptions of the events as remembered by different individuals. Plans are being discussed for the next meeting. Smaller gatherings are being arranged in the coming months as some of the UPLINKers take their various vacations in the neighborhoods of others. It is a strange feeling to put a face on an electronic pen-pal for whom you have already conjured up a mental image. I heartily recommend at least attending any BBS parties your favorite BBS assembles. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 8 - POETRY CORNER by Randy Nodeworthy, Node ID ->EDISON =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Trying to connect I wish I were, I wish I might, I wish I had some mail tonight. I called my HUB, and he was down. So I called the other side of town. They had to be a RIME node, and .QWK to boot. I had to get some mail en route. I typed real hard, I typed until my fingers were chard. I called all nodes within my state, All nodes were busy, just my fate! Finally I got a good "Connect". Finally some mail I could collect. With a satisfied grin, I wiped the sweat off of my chin. I downloaded my packet, I wanted to get the mail off the net. By this time, It was four thirty nine... And with much regret, I went to bed.... The world would have to wait for the ideas in my head... =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 9 - REVIEW: GENBULL V1.32 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= A new utility for sysops using PCRelay is now available. GENBULL V1.32, by Allen Johnson and David Dean, is a comprehensive bulletin generator designed to work with with the PCRelay networking package by Kip Compton. It will function with any BBS software. GENBULL outputs several bulletins in both ANSI and ASCII format. The first shows a four day summary of message traffic. It breaks down the number of incoming and outgoing messages for each day and displays totals. The second is suitable for use as a logon news files, displaying the date and time of the last transfer, and the total incoming and outgoing messages for the current day. The last is a summary of message traffic by percentage of the total messages. It uses bars to graphically show the results. In addition, GENBULL will optionally trim your PCRelay log file to a specific number of days when it runs. Basic configuration is quick and easy. GENBULL is designed to allow use in multi-network environments by placing the executable in your path and keeping the configuration files in each specific PCRelay directory. GENBULL also accurately keeps track of message numbers even if multiple mail runs are made in the course of a day. Default colors are supported for ANSI bulletins but an optional configuration file controls the colors used for each bulletin. This procedure is somewhat more complicated but can be figured out quickly by referencing the documentation. GENBULL comes in two flavors. GENBULL.EXE which is a standalone application and GENBULLB.EXE which is smaller in size and requires that BRUN45.EXE be located in your path. The latest versions and support are available on The Old Town BBS, (602) 782-3969 HST. The authors can also be contacted via RelayNet at Node ID ->OLDTOWN. A $10.00 donation is requested if GENBULL is used longer than 21 days. The version of GENBULL reviewed can be requested from NETNODE as GENB132.ZIP. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 10 - RELAYNET BBS HIGHLIGHT =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= This month we take a peek at SMARTalec BBS in Etobicoke, Canada (a borough of Toronto). The sysop, Glenn Menzie, runs a single node using PCBoard 14.5a on an 12 MhZ 80286. Primarily dedicated to electronic mail, SMARTalec uses 40 megabytes of data storage. The board currently answers the phone using an internal 2400 baud modem and plans to procure a US Robotics HST are in the works. SMARTalec has over 80 RelayNet conferences available to it's callers as well as NA'net and local forums. Glenn also hosts a small network called MNMnet with members in Canada and the US. SMARTalec can be reached at (416) 253-5900. There are no subscription fees. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= 11 - NOTICES =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= The RIME Times staff is now maintaining the newsletter AUTOSEND list. If you are a RelayNet node and would like the newsletter sent to your board automatically each month send a message to Michael Brunk, Node ID ->CSPACE or John Dodson, Node ID ->CANTINA. Please check to see if your hub will AUTOSEND it to avoid duplication. Current listing of Bulletin Board software participating in RelayNet: SpitFire GAP TriTel QuickBBS GT Power Remote Access MajorBBS PCBoard/ProDoor dBBS RBBS EIS Wildcat! UltraBBS To make life easier for the editors, the following submission guidelines are suggested: 1) To be included in the current month newsletter all articles must be submitted by the 5th of the month. 2) A routed private message in either the COMMON is acceptable. Please address and route to: Michael Brunk, Node ID ->CSPACE or John Dodson Node ID ->CANTINA. 3) Your name as used on RIME. 4) Your node id if you are a RIME sysop or your "home" board id if you are a RIME user. 5) Any special instructions. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- The RIME Times is published monthly by the membership of RelayNet International Message Exchange as its official newsletter. Users and Sysops are encouraged to contribute. Submissions and questions may be directed to the editor Michael Brunk, Node ID ->CSPACE. (c)Copyright 1991, The RelayNet International Message Exchange. Permission is hereby granted for unlimited distribution and duplication, provided such distribution and duplication are strictly for non-commercial purposes only. All other rights reserved. RelayNet and RIME are registered trademarks. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------